Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking Alaskan Salmon Tips

Options
DavidR
DavidR Posts: 178
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Just got back from two wonderful weeks in Alaska. My fishing trips were so successful that I'm having 42 lbs. of both red and silver filets shipped frozen from the processor tommorow.[p]I have never smoked salmon on the egg before, but I want to give it a whirl. I have a fish grid and a plate setter for the large egg. I know that you use alder for the smoke, which I'll be picking up soon.[p]But if some of you salmon experts can let me in on the setups (dome temp, direct or indirect, raised grid or not, drip pan or not) I be beholden. Also if you have a favorite recipe for spreads, chowders, etc. :)

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    I've got some great recipes, David, and they are super easy. They all start the same way:[p]1. Ship salmon to JSlot, Goose Creek, SC.........[p]I'll take it from there!! Seriously, you are going to be in for some good eats. Salmon is one of my favorite things to do on the Egg.[p]Jim
  • alternity
    Options
    DavidR,
    Its been a while since I've posted here and salmon always gets my attention. Brine can be wet or dry but basically salt and sugar. Time for brines vary but can go over night. The fish should be lightly rinsed in fresh water and set with a breeze for about an hour to air cure. Temp. is as important as the cure. Hot smoke is normally done 90 degrees or so and slowly climbing to 180 or so. Cold smoking which isnt easy and I have never perfected is cooked in an environment more like 80-90 degrees and keeping smoke and fire source in one isn't the optimum way, instead heat is supplied by a low level heating element and smoke generated remotely. I would like to purchase a food slicer and try to make gravalox. Also I have made several batches of salmon jerkey and like it better than beef jerky. Happy cooks

• Hooch
    Hooch Posts: 9
    Options
    Alternity,
    Wow! Really peaked my curiosity w/ the salmon jerky. Care to share the process/procedure? Would love to try it out.[p]TIA[p]Brian

• alternity
    Options
    Hooch,
    Its pretty easy. I slice the salmon thin length wise if I can not cross wise to the skin.(Cutting it semi frozen helps!) Soak it in whatever strikes your tastebuds. Mostly water salt sugar and spices. The longer the stronger. I usually just go a few hours. Then smoke for a few hours at low temps. Try not to go over 130 or 150. The strips will turn almost translucent if thin enough. I like it kinda moist. But the last batch was crunchy and still good. It dosent taste fishy at all and almost has a bacon or beef jerky taste.
    squawjerky.jpg

• Hooch
    Hooch Posts: 9
    Options
    alternity,
    Thanks. I will try that. I've had success making jerky from various cuts of beef, and venison once. I'm excited to try it with salmon now. Thanks again.[p]