Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

bone-in pork chops, cooking suggestions please

Options
mojo
mojo Posts: 220
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Was gonna grill up some nice, 1.5" thick bone-in pork chops tonight. During my pre-BGE days (heretofore known as the dark ages) I used to season these with Season All and cook them over a medium heat on the gasser. I checked the recipe section and it seems that 300-350 is a popular temp, cooked direct. I was gonna give Bad Byron's Butt Rub a try on one of them, and maybe a DP rub on another. Any suggestions regarding cooking technique and seasoning would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    I like to cook mine at 350 raised direct. I put a little salt & pepper and then while cooking I baste them with lemon/butter & little garlic salt. I save some sauce for basting when the chops are done...
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion! Why raised? Just curious, I guess I really don't understand the benefit of cooking on a raised grid. I know that it makes chicken skin crispier, and I know it's a little hotter at the dome, but if I wanted a higher temp I could just cook at a higher dome temp than 350 and leave the meat on the grate at felt level, no? Sorry, not trying to be difficult, just trying to learn more.

Oh, and if others still have suggestions, I'd love to hear them. I do pork chops pretty often and I'm always looking for more ways to prepare them.
  • TXTriker
    TXTriker Posts: 1,177
    Options
    Hey Mike, what I did to mine last night was pretty much a Trex method. Salt and pepper and seared them about 90 seconds both sides. Brought them in to rest for 20 minutes while I brought the grill down to 400 degrees. I then put them back on and roasted them to about 160 internal flipping once after a couple or 3 minutes. Mine were not that thick but they turned out good.

I also used Zach's BBQ Sweet Rub just before I put them back on. www.zachspice.com
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Options
    I do mine the same as TXtriker. Wife says they are the best she has ever had. I think that is what I am doing tomorrow night.
  • dougemsmacks
    dougemsmacks Posts: 152
    Options
    I use olive oil and greek seasoning on my chops but mine are usually about 3/4" thick. I cook direct and 400° but with the thickness you have that won't work. But the greek seasoning will :)
  • mojo
    Options
    Here's how it went. After lighting the Egg I began to prepare the meat. I had 3 chops and decided I'd try 3 different rubs. On one I used the old standby Season All, BBBR on another and DP's Red Eye Express on the third. After applying the seasonings I went out to check the egg and it had risen very quickly to just over 600*. So I just TRexd'em! My favorites were the DP and BBBR, with the SeasonAll coming in a distant 3rd, although it was very juicy. This was a quick, easy and delicious cook. Viva la BGE!

vidalia1 - I'm still interested in the whole raised grid issue if you have the time to explain. Thanks in advance!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    Mike, didn't mean to butt in. Here's one interpretation of 'raised direct': direct means absence of plate setter therefore grid would be sitting on the fire ring below gasket level. to prevent charring the meat you increase the distance between meat and fire by raising the grid to gasket level by using the rig or firebricks or carriage bolts or grid extender. You get a faster, crispier cook and use less lump. It doesn't necessarily mean elevating into the dome. Just my 2 cents.
    canuckland
  • mojo
    Options
    Thanks for butting in, I appreciate the explanation! I had always (wrongly) assumed that 'raised' implied into the dome.
  • emilluca
    emilluca Posts: 673
    Options
    America test kitchen had a good way to cook smoke. Take 2 bamboo skewers and pierce the chops so they can be grilled on the fat side in a row.
    this allows for no turning and air flow across the meat on both sides.
    E