Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Head on collision with BGE dome thermometer

Options
Darnoc
Darnoc Posts: 2,661
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Had some unexpected rain come threw a almost empty bag of lump under the dome and closed the lid.You know what comes next the stem on the BGE is shot.Had to hurry up and find a back up and I am glad that I Had it. The professional gauge that you use in the oven INSIDE the house.Hope the Egg will understand.

001-36.jpg

My Tel -True should be here by Wednesday.I chose the 200 to 1000 degree version hope I made the right choice.Some one mentioned that the 1000 degree version is more than likely not able to check not much above 800 for any length of time any how.

Comments

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    good choice i think that is what most of us order,, i have had no problems in 4 years,, and, unless you are prone to leaving the dmft off and the vent wide open [alcohol induced inattention in my case and it happens regularly ] you really won't be burning at more than 800 for long periods. plus the blue jet flames at 900+ are really cool
    bill
  • Darnoc
    Options
    My thoughts exactly.If the situation would come up when I thought to myself oh sh-- there goes another one there will be a little lee way to turn things down.If I want to nuke higher than that like some guy here likes to do his pizza at the 1000/to1200 degree mark and I just can't remember his name who in the hell needs a thermometer in the first place? The Egg can only get so hot and how friggin long does it take to cook a pizza at that temp any how?I have pinned the BGE therm o past the six o'clock position many with no problems. But I guess the Tel-True is a new toy and I don't want to destroy it in the first month of use.
  • Go Bucks!
    Go Bucks! Posts: 53
    Options
    What is a tel tru thermometer? Can you post a link?
    thanks
    TC
  • Darnoc
    Options
    Here you go.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/whichteltru.htm

This should explain things on a great replacement.