Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Charcoal flavor

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Does the BGE really give you that charcoal flavor. I am thinking about getting an egg but just not convinced yet that it is worht the money a will be a vast improvement over the gas grill. Thanks you for your thoughts.

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Squirrel,[p]I've been a Weber Genesis owner for 13 years and just purchased a large BGE (after taking a $800 stainless P.O.S. back to Costco) a little over a week ago.[p]Between the great folks in this forum, and the performance of the BGE, I am VERY happy I switched from gas to lump charcoal and the BGE. I still have a Weber Performer Kettel and I used lump in it yesterday as my BGE was setup for an overnight cook. Lump charcoal starts fast, cooks long, and has less hassles than propane if you ask me. Just keep a few 10# bags on hand and you'll never be bored on a weekend. <grin>[p]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokey
    Smokey Posts: 2,468
    Options
    Squirrel,[p]There is NO comparison between gas and the egg (Egg is better). I used to cook on a cheap gas grill (Walmart special, $119) after it rusted out and I started making real money, I bought a high end gas grill (Weber Stainless Steal job). The problem was the results were just like the cheap grill (but left a bad taste in my mouth after spending $500+). I went somewhere and tasted food from an egg and realized that was what I was searching for. After some research, I bought my first egg (now have two and thinking of a third).[p]Smokey[p]Smokey
  • smokeypete
    Options
    Squirrel, i think smokey flavor is what it is no matter how you achieve it. the egg's benefit comes from the versatility and control it allows the cook. anything from hot dogs and buns to filet mignon, ribs, brisket, seafood both seared and/or smoked, vegetables, jerky, chicken in any number of ways, hot and fast, low and slow, smokey or not, the egg allows your imagination to express itself. you only pay for the thing once, no matter what it is. spend the extra $$$ and never look back. i'll bet even squirrel tastes good rubbed and mopped and glazed with care.