Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

nomex on new egg

ranchonodinero
ranchonodinero Posts: 136
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am getting an egg this week (happy father's day) and have read the posts about gasket failures. Are the latest eggs coming with nomex gaskets? And not to sound like a rotten egg, but seems kinda cheesy that I may have to replace the gasket after a couple of cooks on a pretty expensive cooker. Followup question: rutland or nomex??

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    From what I have read and see in the dealers the eggs are still coming with felt gaskets. As long as the adhesive isn't of the 'bad run' then you should be fine.

What you get will most likely depend on your dealer or dealers inventory. From what I know there is no way to identify good adhesive or bad adhesive.

If the gasket adhesive fails contact your dealer and or or BGE. Let them know of the problem and request a Nomex replacement.

As for Nomex, Rutland or Cotronic there are a lot of people using each type.

Pork Butt Mike has some information of Cotronic, RRP has some good information on Rutland and here is what BGE says about Nomes...

Bobby-Q’s comments about Rutland, Silicone and Cotornic’s.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=656306&catid=1

You are going to have to decide for yourself.

GG
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    First, Welcome to the forum!!!

Second, you may or may not have problems with your gasket. Mine is a little yucky from food hanging over, but it still works like a charm (I did several low temp cooks b4 getting the temp up for something like a pizza). If you do have a problem, from what I have read, seems like Nomex is the way to go... That is what I will do if I ever have to replace mine... Hth... :)
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    IMHO,gaskets are useless,mine has been non-existant for a few months now.Still no problems.They are just for "show" and maybe to cushion the blow when you shut the lid.If your dome and base are properly allined(sp) :blush: .They have no effect on your cooks.BTW,just fnishing up an all day lo-n-slo.NO PROBLEM! ;)
  • Dut
    Dut Posts: 81
    I melted the one on my medium and the one on my XL, both on the first cook.
    Been going strong ever since and that was over 2 years ago.

IMG_0166.jpg

IMG_0167.jpg
  • Wow-you guys are great! I am getting the large egg with a nest (until I can decide on which cart to build). The egg will be replacing a "new braunfels" smoker that I've been pretty unhappy with for several years-if you've ever cooked with one, you will understand. It is a warm weather smoker at best and temp control is a handful. I mostly smoke ribs and chicken-the new braunfels wasn't very forgiving, but it could make some ribs-but man cannot live on yardbird and ribs alone-I'm hoping the egg will allow the introduction of new and exciting eats here at ranchonodinero. I've started looking at the "rig" systems in order to get more space. Thanks for all the advice!
  • Hoss
    Gaskets are just sumthin else to sell!Make sure you have a good dealer that knows how to assemble an egg! ;) Good Eats to you! ;)
  • AnnaG
    Hoss, I was able to put mine together right after having a root canal... Trust me... If I can do it, anybody can do it... I actually would have paid my dealer to put it together, but he doesn't offer that... Two years and still holding together... Watch the top fall off tomorrow... Hee hee... :)
  • Hoss
    :laugh: :woohoo: :whistle:
  • Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Awwwwww Lawwwd!! Don't say such things!!! :woohoo: :laugh: :whistle: You really trying to "tempt the Gods??"
  • AnnaG
    I am impressed!!! You did that really well!!! :)

That is about how my luck runs, but maybe not... The ole egg girl has been good to me so far... I aborted the mission of cooking burgers & corn tonight... Southern Miss was in the College World Series, but will cook tomorrow at lunch... No pics, as that would be BORING... :)
  • Where's ranchonodinero?
    Not down on Mathis Lake is it? Welcome to the forum. Tons of information here.
  • danny285
    danny285 Posts: 360
    You can put it together yourself with no problem, but you will need some help lifting the bottom section into the nest. as for the gasket go ahead and order a Nomex to have when the felt falls off, it will come off after the 2nd or 3rd cook. My dealer wanted $50 for assy. and had never heard of a nomex gasket or the gasket failure problem.

good luck you will never be sorry of you purchase
  • Dude!
    Dude! Posts: 25
    Hey there,

Regarding gasket failures, they aren't all the same. In the "bad adhesive" category we have gaskets in good shape that are falling off because they've come unglued. A friend that recently bought an Egg was given a spare gasket at the time of the purchase, just in case. Not all experiences may be the same, but I thought this was great of his dealer.

In other cases, I believe it's just that the gasket is a consumable. Like tires on your car, ink in your printer, or batteries in your digital camera, the gasket is something that, from time to time, needs replacing.

The nomex gaskets being pretty new, I don't know that there is a life expectancy on them - I've got about a dozen cooks on my nomex, and it looks great.

As others have mentioned, there is some good information out there, and I for one subscribe to the misalignment of the dome as a possibility for premature failure. It's sure easy to make sure everything is fitting well.

On to the rest of your post - you mentioned "unforgiving." If there's one thing I'd say the Egg is, that's forgiving. I'm a recent convert from cooking with gas, having *never* mastered cooking on charcoal briquets. Granted, I no doubt learned a lot in the interim "gas" years, but the Egg is sooo easy to cook on. There's so much good info here, and so many helpful people, that it's not hard to have some really great cooks really quickly, giving you the confidence to "stretch out" down the road.

Welcome to the club, and happy early father's day. Can't wait to see some of your cooks.