Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Drumsticks rack for tomorrow: direct ok?

Options
Buckwoody Egger
Buckwoody Egger Posts: 674
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The plan for lunch tomorrow is to cook a dozen drumsticks on the Bayou Classics rack. I have some DP Jamaican and Shakin the Tree. All set to go...

...but tonights forum research shows indirect at 350 for 90 minutes is the way to go.

I'm cooking for some lunch guests who want to check out the Egg from lighting to cooking, etc. Indirect may take too long.

How about direct? Anyone got a time / temp recommendation? Or skip the rack? Or make 'em wait the full 90 minutes?

Thanks

Comments

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    I like them indirect at 400-450 to 190 or so internal temp. Usually takes an hour or less.
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I don't like direct with dark meat, there is too much fat dripping on the coals causing a nasty tasting smoke that adheres to the product. If you are in a hurry do like Pat said. -RP
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    will do, thanks to you both!
  • Buckwoody Egger
    Options
    Hey just to close the loop. The advice was great.

The drumsticks were awesome - got the Egg up to about 450 indirect and stuck the remote thermometer in one leg. They were done in 45 minutes easy. Did 4 DP Jamaican, 4 DP Shakin and 4 Jack's Old South. Basted the 4 Jacks with some Sugar Rays BBQ sauce near the end of the cook.

Sorry no pics but will next time for sure. I will do this one again. It's just too easy to pick up a dozen legs and fire em up.