Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cooking on ruined gasket

Options
maddaug
maddaug Posts: 56
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well the gasket is shot and we were going to show off the egg tomorrow. Can we still cook at lower temps? ABT's was about all we were going to do. Maybe smoke some salmon. How possible is it that the egg will again seal itself shut due to the adhesive warming up again?

Comments

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    maddaug,[p]You will have no problem cooking without a gasket. As far as sealing shut, anything is possible, but my guess is that most of the glue has and will burn off and should not create additional problem.[p]
    Sounds like you have some great plans. I just put 4 7lb butts in my large for pulled pork tomorrow. Plan on putting some in the freezer for future meals.

• The Naked Whiz
    Options
    maddaug,
    I cooked for several weeks without a gasket. With an air leak like that, you might have trouble doing a low and slow, but the only effect I had to deal with was that over time, grease and gunk built up on the edges and it was a bit of an effort to scrape it all off before putting the new gasket on. Sorry, that should be 3 sentences, I guess. :-)[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    Bob,
    The smell of pork butt was in our plans for Sunday, but I don't know now, maybe wait till gasket can get fixed. Enjoy your feast. Butts are the best!!!

• Grumpa
    Options
    maddaug,[p]My gasket has been gone for years and has not presented a problem of any kind at any temp. It is one of life's little things that I have found I can live without :~)[p]Go ahead with the butt plans. The egg will take care of you.[p]There is nothing like the smell of pork butts in the air when you go out in the morning.......

• mollyshark
    mollyshark Posts: 1,519
    Options
    Bob,[p]I cooked without a gasket on my large for about 8 months. The biggest problem I had was in cooling down. It had just enough O2 coming in to keep a very low smolder, so I went through a LOT of charcoal. Since I've replaced it (the task wasn't as bad as I thought!), I shut the vent, put on the top lid, and that baby is off with almost all the coal to spare. But, like you, cooking per se was not an issue.[p]mShark
  • Grumpa
    Options
    Hi Molly,
    I guess all eggs are NOT created equal :~) I have not noticed any additional cooling time, actually quite the contrary in my case. I guess some lids have a natural tighter fit than others. I am sticking to my general rule of thumb.... If it's not broke don't fix it :~)[p]Got 4 7lb butts on the plan to pull out today. They have been cooking since about 9 pm last night. Internal is at 169 already and I'm looking forward to later today. Brunswick stew will be made from part of the harvest.[p][p]