Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Maple for smoke?

Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
edited 1:00PM in EggHead Forum
I know people use Sugar Maple for smoke, How about regular maple, Norway, silver, etc?

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    yeah.

a maple in our yard drops twigs and stuff (GASP! with bark even!) i gather it up sometimes while the egg is hitting temp. toss them in with steaks, maybe in with hickory and other stuff for longer cooks. all good.

if you are wondering whether the smoke will smell good, toss some in and smell it.

my rule: if it smells good, it usually tastes good too
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    cooked a pile of cow last night with generic 'maple' i liked it
    bill
  • Cpt'n CookCpt'n Cook Posts: 1,917
    Okay, I had a big branch that I had to trim, I am now cutting it up into chunks. I trimmed off a good size Cherry branch also that I know is good for smoke.
    Thanks Stike. Bloomsday coming up Tuesday! I am going to take in a couple of readings here in Worcester, should be fun.
  • lowercasebilllowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    make sure it is dry. if it was a dead branch great but if it is green let is sit till dry .
    i am WAY off my pace. this year it looked like i'd have much less work than usual and i'd be able to read it through again. i'm only in the second chapter. usually i wrap it on or about the 16th.

you actually into it? rare thing these days.
    hahaha
    Only in small dodes :laugh:
    yeah. even my will gets sapped in the middle of chapter 16. 17 is my favorite.

have many beers, and enjoy!
  • SabbatSabbat Posts: 26
    I'm going to try Maple lump charcoal pretty soon, I'll keep you posted on how that goes.
  • SabbatSabbat Posts: 26
    I posted an update on another thread, but thought I'd update here: if you use sugar maple lump, I suggest using very light smoking chips, the lump itself will give an amazing taste.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    I have some garden variety maple drying in the backyard for fireplace use.  I started thinking about using it on the BGE and was looking for any experience people might have.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • We used to maple as our smoke flavor in our pork, decided it gave it a "hammy" type flavor that we wanted to get away from.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA