Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate settler of pizza stone best for indirect cooking?

Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Is a Plate Setter or pizza stone better for indirect cooking. I want to cook ribs, brisket & pulled pork. Thanks-

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Mark,
    upside down platesetter with an aluminum drip pan in it, put the grid on top and cook away. Just make sure that the grid doesn't line up exactly with one of the three legs of the plate setter like I did and have the grid fall down in the middle of the cook. No harm really, just something that could have been avoided.
    Seth

• Mark,
    Hands down, plate setter. It gives you a place to put your drip pan![p]Kelly

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Mark,
    I just got a plate setter. I have been using a grill on the fire box, a 12" pizza stone & a drip pan. Works fine.[p]I haven't checked it out yet, but with the plate setter, you lose height in the dome. I cook poultry on Spanek rigs, so I need the height of a turkey or chicken.[p]Keep me posted on your experience.[p]

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Nessmuk,[p]No reason to lose dome height...just put the plate setter in upside down with the legs pointing up and you'll GAIN, not lose....[p]QBabe
    :~)

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Mark,
    I use both at the same time. More mass. My pizza stone is in 2 pieces (LOL), so it works great to catch anything that might spill onto the plate setter. [p]Mike in MN

• Nessmuk
    Nessmuk Posts: 251
    Mike in MN,
    I read on the recipe wire to place a grill over the fire box, then a pizza stone & finally a drip pan.[p]Did that & have been cooking successfully. Recently discovered the plate setter. This weekend I will try it.[p]Since I smoke poultry vertically on a Spanek, I am not sure there is enough vertical height to to that with the plate setter. [p]I will continue to use both or cook poultry without the plate setter.[p]

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Nessmuk,
    I use the plate setter with the feet "up," then I place the pizza stone on top of that, then a drip pan, finally the grill. This set up will add mass, and the grill will be at it's "standard" height. [p]If I want the meat higher in the dome, I put the drip pan on top of the grill, rather than on top of the pizza stone.[p]I just like the added ceramic mass. It seems to hold temps steadier....maybe it's just in my head??[p]Mike in MN