Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chili Help

Options
Chef Boyaree
Chef Boyaree Posts: 150
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I posted a smoked brisket chili recipe on this site that I love. Yesterday, I substituted pulled pork for brisket. The taste is absolutely incredible, but I have a problem I could use help with. Although I should have, I did not chop the pork into pieces any smaller than the moment I pulled it. Now the aesthetics are all screwy. You can pick up the entire pot of chili with one big fork. Any suggestions as to how I can cut up the pork into smaller pieces at this stage? My one thought was to put a plastic cutting board into a large aluminum dish (to catch the liquid) while the chili is cold and stuck together. I would then chop it up on the cutting board as much as I could. Any ideas???

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i did a stew recipe that said to grind the pull but i didnt, dont try cooking it longer as it will fall into strings and the texture isnt right. i would either chop it, or take as much out and course grind it
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I definitely need to chop it I'm just trying to decide on a method.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Why not strain it, catching the liquid, then chop the solids and re-combine?

You could do it in small batches and have a good mix of texture as well.
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    That is absolutely what i will do. Always good to hear from others. Thanks!

BTW... if you look up the smoked brisket chili recipe I posted (I think it is still on the forum page on the far right at the bottom), it is awesome. Nice and spicy but not too much....
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    i would probably reheat the liquid and add the chopped meat in last so as not to over cook it,keep it separated til the end, that pull will turn to hair if it gets heated too long. :whistle: been there and my stew went from great to not so great very quickly
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    A couple quick pulses should do the trick. -RP
  • Chef Boyaree
    Options
    I took out the cold pork from the chili, shopped it, and simmered entire pot while adding another bottle of beer. Turned out excellent.... did this while doing a spatchcock chicken on the grill. All in all a nice evening...