Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One food item disliked???

Options

Comments

• Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    LOL. I love raw green peppers.

Most disliked food for me? I hate many many veggies, but the biggest one is the turnip family. I'd rather eat roadkill than a rutabega.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    sulfury?

i disliked them too (sorry mom!) because they were always overcooked.

my wife does them where they stay bright green, tight, no sulfur.

split open after cooking, a little butter, or maybe vinegar. good stuff.

take the challenge, man! don't let a little vegetable defeat you. (talking about brussel sprouts, i mean, not sundown)
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • stike
    Options
    hey man. whereya been?
  • Dos Huevos
    Dos Huevos Posts: 368
    Options
    just busy as all get out. I've been trying to stay committed to my blog and writing every day, but my job is crazy busy. We are in the process of being bought by GSK so it's crazy.

The fact is that having a job, a wife and three kids is pretty busy and my time in front of the computer for personal use has gotten limited.

That said, I miss my BGE peeps and need to get back to cooking more.

How yinz been durrin?

T
  • YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Liver...It's like having a mouthful of chalk.I think anything you have to smother in gravy and onions to be able to eat needs to go in the trash.LOL

Larry
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Larry, to you and all the other liver haters out there...

You should really try calf's liver sometime. It has a completely different taste and texture from adult beef liver. It is almost like butter with a velvety rich texture and an indescribable flavor. You cut it with a fork. It is an indulgence worth trying some time.

If you really want to expand your horizons you should have a spoonful or two of what they call "puddin" across the river from you in SC. We make it every time we butcher and BBQ a hog. Liver is one of the ingredients, but not the predominant flavor. This also goes along the "acquired taste" idea stike and I shared earlier in this thread.
  • stike
    Options
    liver is usually ridiculously overcooked. if you hate it because it's dry, it's probably not properly prepared.

i know folks who like pate' , and hate liver. something to think about
  • Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Crab meat. I know it doesn't make sense 'cause I love all other seafood, but not crab meat.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Limburger Cheese. My upper-classmen frat brothers made me and the other plebes eat it on our "Hell Night." They told us it was something else ofcourse. Can't imagine ever eating it again willfully. :sick:
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    I would try it if someone who knew how to cook it was cooking, but I still have that aversion to anything that starts out looking like "Black Jello".
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    Lamb...to me it taste like what I think dog would taste like if I ate dog...which I don't

however I do love smoked bbq bologna
    :P :whistle: :woohoo: :lol: :silly:
  • YB
    Options
    YUCK...I will stick with steak.Hope you are having a good summer Rod.
    Larry
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    liverwurst, pate, turkey giblets in the gravy, even codliver oil, those are all fine. chicken liver, beef liver,duck balls (thwaites makes these from ground beef liver and serves them at breakfast time) you can have my share :laugh: i can smell the stuff 3 blocks away, i remember staying out late just to get punished and sent to bed without dinner just to avoid it. i do try it from time to time, but nope its not good to eat and contrary to what mom told me its not good for you
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    Plain boiled chitterlings or as we say chitlins.But,a little black pepper,vinegar and hot sauce,along with saltine crackers and I'm good to go! ;)
  • Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :sick: BEANS :sick:

the kinds that start dried

no matter HOW they are disguised, with 1 exception:

7 layer taco dip

love brussel sprouts, saurkraut, pate (not liver!), mushrooms,

don't dig baloonie/balogna or Vienna Snausages, either :sick:
  • YB
    Options
    I agree with you Todd...I have a hard time eating vital organs.

Larry
  • fishlessman
    Options
    even canned beans start dried ;) i could almost live off homemade beans :)
    fukahwee maine

• lowercasebill
    lowercasebill Posts: 5,218
    Options
    brussel sprouts smell , to me like skunk cabbage, there is a chemical in brussel spouts that is responsibel for the smell, the ability to smell it is genetic.. you do or you do not.. like flaring your nostrils wiggling your ears or curling your tongue.. you can or you cannot based on genetics..
    and i did did puke on the olives {age9 ate the whole bowl full ] martinis cured me of me olive phobia. B)
  • fishlessman
    Options
    pretty much my favorite meat, we even eat it ground raw with red onion scoops :laugh:
    fukahwee maine

• Desert Oasis Woman
    Options
    :) yeah, started to write no canned beans, either, but post getting a bit long...don't do bean dip, refried...
    used to send plate back if 1 bean visable :ohmy:
    will only eat the bean portion on 7-layer if I make it: whipped vegetarian beans layered very thinlyon the bottom :silly:
  • troutman
    troutman Posts: 498
    Options
    Haggis.

Don't ask. It involved Scotland, a lot of beer, and a dare.

Never again. Not that much beer in the world.
  • stike
    Options
    duck balls? hmmmmm

hhahaha

you can always tell the male ducks because they sink a little lower toward the back.
  • stike
    Options
    but see? that's psychological.

i tried some sweetbreads, prepared lightly battered and pan fired til just tender. it was wonderful. but if i'd looked up what "sweetbreads" really were before ordering, i might have gone pansy and ordered sumthin else.
  • Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Just like turkey fries and rocky mountain oysters.

Both are good if you can just put it out of your mind what you just put into your mouth.
  • Roudy
    Roudy Posts: 431
    Options
    I agree that they're pretty bad when boiled to death, but roasted at 450 F with DP Shakin' the Tree and EVOO they can be fabulous :woohoo:

Turnips are the vegetable that turn my stomach. They were the only example of child abuse that I endured growing up. In recent years I read an article that turnips contain trace levels of a naturally occurring neurotoxin. I knew those things were deadly! :sick:
  • AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    I'd much rather eat sprouts than that cow testicle you fed me in Waldorf! :P -RP
  • DrugCoder
    DrugCoder Posts: 219
    Options
    +1 to Liver. I've given it many attempts every few years, and it never gets any better. Just makes me gag!
  • bobbyb
    bobbyb Posts: 1,349
    Options
  • vidalia1
    vidalia1 Posts: 7,092
    Options
    You haven't tried Mad Max's liverwurst & rocky mountain oyster sammich then...it was treally good..
    :blink: :huh: :S

just kidding Max it was very tasty..

B) :P