Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Scallops and ribs

Options
db
db Posts: 103
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Gonna try scallops for the first time ever. I don't even know what these things are. I got a sauce picked out: 1 cup butter, 1/4 cup olive oil, 3 tsp garlic, 4 bay leaves, 2 tsp rosemary, 1 1/2 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp basil, 1/2 tsp salt,1/2 tsp cayenne, 1/2 tsp oregano, 1 T. paprika, 1 T. lemon juice. Now how do I cook 'em. Should I oil them up and salt and pepper first? How long do I cook them? Would smoke overpower them?
Ribs tonite. I'm gettin' to like this big green alien on my back porch.
db[p]

Comments

• King-O-Coals
    Options
    db, You musta plopped down a bundle if those are real scallops. You can saute them in butter with your favorite seasonings, or fry them like fish, or, and this is the bestest,, wrap each in a small piece of bacon with a toothpick to hold it, place them on a fine mesh grill on your egg and cook them at 300-350 until the bacon is done. Mity-fine. Scallops are only the muscle part of a large clam type thing. They are harvested by large net boats that follow the migration. These clams can swim better than crabs.

• Seattle Todd
    Options
    db,[p]
    King's right on the money when it comes to the bacon-wrapping method. Also really, really good with prosciutto. Depending on how crispy you like the bacon on them when they're done you might want to cook the bacon partially before wrapping the scallops.[p]Regarding the smoke in my experience scallops absorb smoke WAY too easily to use it with them. I just use lump. Last Summer I made some salmon and scallops with just a handful of relatively mild alder chips and while the salmon was perfect, maybe even not smokey enough, the scallops were almost inedible IMHO.[p]Good luck![p]

• db
    db Posts: 103
    Options
    Seattle Todd, Thanks for the ideas gentlemen. Partially cooked bacon it is.
    db[p]

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    db,
    The bacon wrap sounds good.
    If you are looking for something simpler, I just did some last week. Marinated in some stuff ( I have list somewhere), but your sauce sounds good.[p]Cooked them in a grill topper wok, with holes in it, sprayed with high temp pam, and glazed with peanut oil. 325-350 turn every 7 or 8 minutes. Serve when golden brown sear. Nice smoky flavor, tender and juicy.

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ