Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Filet Prep

Options
Bigsmoke
Bigsmoke Posts: 30
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Never eaten a Filet as good as I (we) can cook at home. What is the concensus on griiling method? 700 deg. with a good sear, or 350 and slow? What do you prefer? Which is better for flavor and tenderness?

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Bigsmoke,
    A filet with no sear is really nice. But the outside tastes like a lot like the inside. [p]Start with a real good hot sear, and you have a whole new world of flavor. Just adds a whole new dimension to the outside of the meat...the inside will taste the same either way. The tenderness will depend mostly on how much the inside cooks.[p]If you want good smoke flavor, you can take the steak and put it in the freezer for 20 minutes and lightly freeze the outside, then low smoke at 200-225 for 20-30 minutes. Remove (smoked but uncooked), and prepare your cooker for the big sear. Sear hot (700 plus), for 2-3 minutes a side, then roast at 350-400 til done. The famous TRex method allows for a 20 minute rest (after the sear) while you bring your cooker down to roasting temps.[p]Just some idea-pinions!
    Look....its beer thirty.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Bigsmoke,[p]I do 'em this way:[p]
    [ul][li]Yum[/ul]
  • Bigsmoke
    Bigsmoke Posts: 30
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Thanks, and it's SaltyDog Thirty. Beer thirty for me was noon today. Tough week, and ready to unload.
    Thanks for the ideas, as I'm always looking for more.
    Have a EggTabulous Friday Night, and a better Sat.[p]Good Grilling,[p]Bigsmoke