Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza on the small

Options
Shelby
Shelby Posts: 803
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
When I was in Atlanta this past week, I stopped by the BGE store to swap out the spare/cracked firebox. While there, I saw the ceramic, deep dish for pizza on the small. Not wanting to do a deep dish, I bought it anyway with the intention of using it as a platesetter in conjunction with a small pizza stone, thus allowing me to cook pizza on the small.
Theory worked great, unfortunately, the cook screwed up the execution. Forgot to put the first layer of cheese on, so everything slide off with the first bite. Also, with the stone being much closer to the fire, I did develop a hot spot on the stone that wouldn't normally be a problem on the large. So, I had a burned section. But otherwise, the setup worked fine. Just have to make another to get it right. Damn...don't you just hate having to redo cooks!

Comments

• tn slagamater
    Options
    Shelby, interesting!! Do you put the BGE deep dish under the BGE stone or are you doing a pizza in the stone? I just started using the small, and have not tried pizza on it. Pizza is fantastic on the Large, I DO know that! I really like the small BGE.

• Shelby
    Options
    tn slagamater,
    I used the BGE deep dish as my "plate setter" and rested a small BGE pizza stone on top of it.[p]I had two choices...the dish side down or up. I went with it up thinking that if I ever decide to use the deep dish as intended, it wouldn't be blackened from being pointed towards the fire. I'm also thinking I can use the deep dish to do indirect cooks (get another cooking grid) and line it with foil. One cook and glad I bought it.[p]Not trying to sell them but they only have 2 left and not sure if they'll restock them.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Shelby,
    I bought one of those for my wife earlier this summer. I considered using it just as you have, but then thought that the air trapped inside the deep dish by the pizza stone on top might cause a problem at high temps. Evidently you had no problem, so maybe my concerns were for naught.

• Shelby
    Options
    SteveO,
    I thought of that at first but I don't think it forms a tight enough seal to cause a problem. I had a hot spot on the stone that burned part of the crust but I attribute that to the fire being so close to the stone itself. Still an excellent use for it.
    Plus, if I line it with foil and add a grid, I've got a great indirect setup.

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    Shelby,[p]We stopped in at BGE headquarters and bought one on our way back from Eggfest in May. We love using it as an indirect setup...line with foil, put on second grid (we already had some small cut firebricks that work very well - I like just a little room between the mass and the grid). Does a great job. Though, I'm not sure why they don't make an actual platesetter for the small? Seems like they'd sell...?[p]QBabe
    :~)