Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE as a "dieting aid" -- no kidding!

Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A short while ago, somebody posted a message about "heart healthy" grilling and the Egg. I know it seems weird, but I think that the Egg really can help cut down on dietary fat. First, of course, the fat drips off of whatever meat you cook; but that's true of just about any kind of grilling, and I don't know whether the BGE melts off more fat than ordinary barbecues do. (Maybe it does, since the food cooks slowly.) [p]But most importantly, the BGE makes it possible to cook really lowfat foods (such as skinless chicken breast) that are still delicious. If you try to make chicken breast on a regular grill, it usually comes out tough and rubbery and dry. If you cook it on the Egg, it's smoky and tender and moist.[p]The same is true of fish, another great "diet food": it's tough to grill properly on an ordinary barbecue, but really easy on the Egg, especially because it's so easy to control the temperature and because the heat is so evenly-distributed.[p]On the other hand, the Egg makes a little tougher to practice "portion control": the food tastes so good that you want to keep on eating. Also, since the Egg makes it possible for us to cook really wonderful ribs and pork butts and other items not on the American Heart Association list of approved foods, we are tempted to indulge in those pleasures, at the expense of our arteries. So will power is still necessary.[p]But assuming that you can discipline yourself to eat reasonable quantities of lower-fat foods, I think that the BGE really can help cut down on saturated fats.[p][Do you think my HMO might buy me a mini-Egg to go along with my Large?]

Comments

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Prof,[p]The BGE is a Atkins Diet dream machine. While I have been grilling for over 2 decades, my BGE is only 2 days old.[p]I've lost over 50 pounds on the meat eaters plan since October and my cholesterol is 161.[p]GrillMeister
    Austin, TX

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Prof,[p]Although I do not recommend or agree with the Atkins diet I do agree in that the BGE can help! [p]Portion sizes may be tough to control but with the BGE leftovers are great the 2nd time around. Eating smaller portions multiple times during the day (every 3-4 hours) with a balanced portion of equal "good" (all the green ones) veggies (not corn) & starch along with your protein (Meats!) is the most succesful nutritional diet (weight loss, heart healthy, bp regulating, etc) you can have (can you tell exerices science and nutrition was my major?).[p]Thrown in some exercise and you'll be the best looking BGE'er out there !! : )
    [ul][li]true scientific program info on both diet & exercise[/ul]
  • Fairalbion
    Fairalbion Posts: 141
    GrillMeister,
    I started Atkins in January this year and have gone from 210 to 170 lbs: the BGE has been a great help with this and has made the preparation of delicious high protein foods much more pleasurable. My cholestrol levels are way down. I now believe the low-fat/high-carb diets that have been pushed over the last 20 years are directly responsible for the populace's obesity epidemic: the Food-Pyramid is almost completely wrong.

--
    Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)
  • smokinBoB,
    Eating the healthy green veggies and good protein IS Atkins.[p]I've been on the carnivore diet for the last 6 months. I've lost 60lbs, My blood sugar down 75, cholesterol down 110, triglyceride down 650. All of my levels are now considered in the "normal" range. I use my grill for almost everything. I cook large batches of food on the weekend to have for lunch and dinner throughout the week.
    My doctor put me on the Heart (attack) Association diet last year. No red meat or pork no eggs only low-fat/nonfat cheese. I followed that DIEt and was on 1500-1800 cal/day and I was gaining weight and I felt awful. My blood sugar went up so high from eating all of that "healthy" pasta, rice, grains and fruits that the food pyramid of death prescribes he was going to put me on drugs to lower the blood sugar, my cholesterol was up so high he was also going to put my on drugs for that too. I told him that this diet was going to kill me and I was going to do Atkins. He also did not recommend or agree with the Atkins diet. When I see him and he sees how much weight I've lost and how my blood work is better and my blood pressure is down, I don't know how he can sit there and tell me that this diet is not healthy. I guess being on drugs for everything that his diet was doing to me would be better for me.

• Smokin Bob
    Grillhauberichtlinien,[p]The unhealthy part that you do not see is that your organs work harder than they should to break down an overload of protein. Since protein does not turn to sugar and then fat once the body doesn't use it for energy it must work to eliminate it from the body entirely. Organ failure is a serious risk that we are just now seeing since this high protein fad is fairly new.[p]Believe me, I'm all for a healthy diet that can reduce weight, blood sugar and cholesteral BUT these miraculous changes due to high protein low carb diets seem as though they have a serious price down the road. Equal portions of protein, veggies & carbs are the ultimate. Again, along with exercise and you should have no worries! *** Consult your doctor before... blah, blah, blah...[p]OK, back to the fun stuff![p]Shrimp & Sea Bass tonight!
  • Fairalbion
    smokinBoB,
    Hardly a fad; the low carb diet has been around since the early '70s & has gained traction onm the back of the failure of the high-carb low-fat approach. The obesity epidemic bears witness to this failure.[p]Regards.

--
  • Smokin Bob
    Fairalbion,[p]The fad is not the low-carbs, it's the overdose/overload of protein that is the recent venture that will catch up later on.

• smokinBoB,
    I do not overload on protein, I eat a little more meat than use to, but I have replaced the breads, pasta, rice, beans, and starch/sugars with big salads and lots of "good" veggies, nuts, seeds, and berries. I don't think that I am overloading my system with any more protein elimination than I had before I started this.
    Before we developed ways to refine sugars, remove all nutrition from grains before grinding them to flour, transport high sugar content fruits, from all over, to our stores so that we can eat whatever we want whenever we want and as much or more of it than we want, I think people ate more of an Atkins like diet.

• Fairalbion
    smokinBoB,
    There's no "overloading" - just substitution. Remember that it is only since the industrialization of agriculture in the last 100 years or so that our intake of sugars, starches and refined grain products exploded. Prior to that we existed on what, by modern standards, would be considered a low carbohydrate diet. If you turn the food pyramid upside-down you have some approximation to the diet followed by our ancestors: meat, nuts, berries, vegetables (legumes) etc. They consumed very little in the way of starches, sucrose, glucose or lactose, maybe some fructose.[p]Regards.

--
  • Grillhauberichtlinien, My wife looked into the Adkin's diet after I began cooking with the egg. She said I already had the family on the diet without me realizing it! She may have been kidding, I didn't reseach it.
  • Smokin Bob
    Fairalbion,[p]I am only refering to the Atkins diet not the industrialization of agriculture. The Atkins diet suggests an unnecessary amount of protein for one to consume on a daily basis.