Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Trex steak method question... dwell times vs temp?

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Okay, got a few 2" thick ribeyes that I want to try Trex'ing....[p]I like my steaks medium... just wondering about how many minutes per side would be good to dwell (@ ~400F) 2" steaks to achieve a nice pink medium center... [p]Thanks!

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Nardi,
    I have never had much luck going with times for any kind of grilling or bbq. The dwell time will depend on a lot of things, like how hard was your sear, what the outside temp was during the long rest, your particular cut of meat, and how hot the cooking level temp is where you are completing your "dwell"...or roast.[p]If you are good with judging by feel, that is a good way. Or just keep an eye on the internal temp, and roast to 135 or so, which should give you a nice pink center after a short rest. I am guessing for those 2 inchers, your roasting time will be about 10 minutes...but only as a rough guideline.[p]Hope that helps.
    Enjoy!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Nardi,[p]Assuming you do a 90 second sear on each side first, then rest for 20 minutes at room temperature, try 6 minutes a side at 400 for medium. This may be on the medium-rare side of medium, but I would START here, then cut in just to take a peek, and go longer if you need to. Now that I think about it, maybe go with 7 minutes a side.[p]As Nature Boy pointed out, this part of the cooking process depends on many things, and, for the most part, is trial and error. I'm almost to the point where I can push on the steak and tell, but sometimes I'm still wrong and have to throw it back on for a couple of minutes.[p]But, as a general rule, err on the RARE side (that's kind of catchy, "err on the rare"). You can always cook a steak more, but you can't uncook it! ; )[p]Just a note . . . during the 400 degree cooking period I don't "dwell" per the traditional definition of the word, i.e., close all vents--instead, I have my vents open at whatever spacing I require to maintain the 400 degree dome temp.[p]Good luck![p]TRex

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    TRex,
    i agree with you and the nature one. . ..one thing i've found when doing your method though. .. with a 2" steak, and a 90 second perside seer at 700 degrees and the 20 minute room temp rest, 5 minutes per side at 400 degree dwell gets me perfect (and i do mean perfect) medium rare each and every time. . . it may be the most consistent thing i've done on the egg so far. . .i've always been a trial and error, see how it feels kind of cooker but this one really works. . .

• Hanker'n2Grill
    Options
    Nardi,
    I have been using the TREX method successfully. I do have one question. Sometimes I get the outsides burned a tad. Does anyone ever SEAR, REST, and then ROAST indirect instead over the coals?