Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Arrangment of Smoking Wood Chunks

Options
Fairalbion
Fairalbion Posts: 141
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Could I have some views on the best way of laying out smoking woods for low 'n' slow cooks such as those for pork butts, beef briskets etc? Do you:
* Mix the wood in with the charcoal?
* Lay it on top?
* Arrange it around the edges?[p]

--
Andrew (BGE owner since 2002)

Comments

• disabledDK
    Options
    Fairalbion,
    Chunks are usally the best. I mix about 4 chunks in the lump, and add appx. a handfull or two of chips on top of the lump. Try it a couple of ways. Good luck, DK

• Mike in MN
    Mike in MN Posts: 546
    Options
    DK,
    I do about the same. The chunks are dry, and the chips have a little water mixed in a couple of minutes before I throw them on. It almost puts out a low fire, but then the smoke just forms. The temp drops, and then there is a real slow rise....maybe a half hour to get back to 225. (smoking like mad the whole time)[p]Mike in MN

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    Fairalbion;[p]I start the fire and let the cooker pre-heat to the desired dome temperature. The meat is placed on the grill and the required dry chunks are placed on the burning coals and stirred a bit to mix them for a good initial smoke. You have to remember, the cool meat absorbs smoke up till the meat surface reaches the 120 to 130 degree range. Smoking beyond this surface temperature could detract and possibly produce a bitter taste.