Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small vs. Mini

JK
JK Posts: 93
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a large Egg and am thinking about getting another one -- either a mini or a small. Which one should I get?

Comments

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    JK,
    A mini has a VERY small cooking area - 9", but it is portable, weighing only about 30 lbs. It also costs about half as much as a small. They are a little harder to learn to cook on, but I love mine! JCA

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    J Appledog,
    I have both the small and mini in addition to my large and if I had to choose between the two smaller ones, I would choose the small, no question. It is much more versatile and has quite a bit more cooking area than the mini and while not as portable, it is much easier to take with you than a large or a medium. We took both our small and mini on a two week camping trip earlier this summer and used them both every day.

• Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    JK,
    Oops - I replied to J Appledog instead of you - see above for my thoughts on your question.

• Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    JK, I have only the small and very happy with it. I don't plan on taking her out on the town though. Very bulky and awkward 65 pounds. Where I keep it is also at the bottom of a steep down grade where you have to walk on small stepping stones. I was happy to get it there with no damage or injury.I see where many take their smalls on trips and camping. Mine is going to stay put and hopefully behave. If you are going to do a lot of picnicking I'd go with the mini.
  • J Appledog, what, exactly, are the challenges of cooking on a mini? I have never tried one. Thx.

• J Appledog
    Hairy Jerry,[p]1. They get really, really hot FAST. More than once I've been fooled by the thermometer, wondering how it could be only 200 degrees, when actually the needle had gone all the way around. This is very hard on gaskets!
    2. Unless you fix the probe on the thermometer so it doesn't extend very far into the dome you will very probably end up sticking it in the meat.
    3. There are no daisy wheels or other such tops for a mini, so learning how to control the temp with the bottom vent only takes practice and patience. But once you've mastered it, cooking on a larger egg is child's play.
    4. It's hard to get them going in sub-zero temps.
    5. It takes a lot of looking to find tiny pans & racks & such. But that is part of the fun!
    6. The biggest challenge of all was that I was not being taken seriously AT ALL by the Elders (JJ, C~W, KennyG, Mr. Toad, YB, Spin, etc.) when I said that I had purchased a mini to play with while my husband was out west "working" for a long time one winter. (It was easier to put a mini right outside the back door than shoveling a path to the big one). I'm pretty sure most all of them bought one! That was about 30 pounds ago....
    JCA[p]

• JK
    SteveO,[p]Thanks all! That was very helpful information.
  • Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    JK,[p]I hope its not too late to post this response and hopefully it will be of use to you. I recently added a mini to coincide with my medium. There is only the two of us in our household but I wanted a larger grill for those summer BBQ's we would occasionally invite the neighbors too. However, I needed something a little smaller to accomodate the missus and during the nightly routine of grilling chops, chicken breasts, steaks etc. So I started looking for an addition.
    I looked at both the small and mini numerous times and constantly debated between the two. I took my applications into consideration and finally went with the mini. Now everyone is quick to tell you how small the mini grill is. Yes, I agree that the first time I looked at the 9" grid, I quickly reconsidered the small. However, now that I have purchased a mini and tested its applications I believe I have made the right choice. It is small enough to tote comfortably if you like to camp. It comfortably holds five hamburgers, four chicken breasts, eight bratwursts, three steaks and quite a few of those ABT's. Now, you probably won't be cooking pulled pork on one but then again, I don't believe it was designed for such tasks. (Someone did cook a rack of ribs on one though) And at $129.00 retail its half the price of a small. That was my greatest incentive.
    Just consider your applications and compare it to those I have mentioned and you will have no problems choosing the right Egg companion for you. Hope this info. will help in your decision. [p]Mac

• JK,
    I have a large and a small. I figured I could do a lot more on the small than a mini and the small is almost portable. I'll manage if I have to.[p]TNW

The Naked Whiz
  • JK
    Mac in NC ,[p]Thanks Mac.
  • 3383446723232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dot%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A287785%3Bot1lsi
    <p />JK, i have a medium & just purchased the Mini - i just love it - i can do 8 large burgers or 3lb chicken.
    i made a stainless steel ring for a second grid & made a ceramic plate setter for indirect cooking (so that chicken doesn't burn). i used the smallest disy wheel with lots of felt on the inside edge and it's tight.
    I'll be taking it with me to the beach next week :>))

• J Appledog
    Chef Arnoldi, [p]Did you MAKE that ring? Could I use a springform pan and toss out the bottom, perhaps? [p]Doughmakers makes some very cool little 7.5 inch "pizza" pans that fit on the mini. They come in sets of four so you can use one to deflect heat and another to bake cookies if you so desire.....[p]JCA