Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Perdue Perdone

Options
Gandolf
Gandolf Posts: 906
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Sunday evening, I decided to do a "ButterSpatched" chicken for dinner. Have done many times and they are easy and great. This one was way to dry and I think I did it exactly as I have always done them. Dome at 350 and stable. Chicken cooked direct and placed bone side down on the grid. A few baked potatos added as well. After about 35 minutes, I turned the chicken over (sorry Whiz, just like it that way!) and continued for about another 40 minutes 'til breast thermapen temp was at 178. Turned out the chicken was dry and the potatos were not yet soft, good, but not soft.[p]After dinner, which everyone else thought was great, I calibrated the dome thermometer just to see. I know, should have done before the cook. However, it was right on. I'm thinking of chalking it up as a fluke and waiting for the next one.[p]Any ideas? Thanks

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    Gandolf,[p]Most folks pull chicken at 165° in the breast OR 180° in the thigh. Looks like you just let the internal temp get away a good bit if you pulled at 178° in the breast.[p]Jim
  • Charbon
    Charbon Posts: 222
    Options
    Gandolf, I'm somewhat of a newbie at this Egg business but have done several spatch chickens at 325 and only for one hour. All have been tremendous. I start the fire at one edge of charcoal and start to cook soon as temp gets to 300. I put legs towards fire and no turning.I don't like to cook potatoes on egg as at times they can detract attention from timing of the main course. This is particularly true when hand wrapped around 5th can of beer.

• Pig Sooie
    Options
    JSlot,[p]I agree when it registers 160-165 F in the breast or 180 in the thigh, I'm taking it off.

• Gandolf
    Gandolf Posts: 906
    Options
    Gandolf,
    Looks like I got my breast and thigh numbers mixed up. I do that all the time! :-)