Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex weekend

Options
Davekatz
Davekatz Posts: 763
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
After burning off my second felt gasket, I decided to give Nomex a try.

I've watched Fred's video. I've got the gasket, a cold and rainy weekend, a couple of different scrapers, Acetone, 3M adhesive, and some adult beverages.

I think I'm good to go, but any hints or tips or good mojo would sure be appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
Food & Fire - The carnivorous ramblings of a gluten-free grill geek.

Comments

• porterhouse64
    Options
    I just installed a Nomex gasket.

I took masking tape and newspaper to completely cover the interior of the egg from glue overspray.

I walked around the egg spraying the 3M 77 towards the center of the egg to prevent getting any glue on the exterior of the egg.

Make sure any overhang of the gasket is on the exterior and not the interior of the egg.
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    Not too bad, but just knocked my EGG out of commission for a bit.

Greg
  • East Cobb Eggy
    East Cobb Eggy Posts: 1,162
    Options
    I sprayed my glue into a disposable cup and brushed it on.

Greg
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    I haven't watched Fred's video since he announced the the Nomex will shrink if you don't run it through a dryer on high heet for maybe 15-20 minutes.
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Installed mine earlier in the week--has been sitting on the table now for a few days. Opened it up after getting the upper band tightened and saw that the alignment was a bit off, so I fixed that and tightened it down. Dollar bill test passed with no problems.

I'm going to fire it up for a brisket this weekend to see how it does, as well as some chicken. No pizzas, thank you. XL is still on standby while I proof the Nomex installation. If it doesn't work out, I may go with a Rutland across the bottom only. I really like the cooker shutting down after I close the vents and put the rain cap on. I know that it will cook just fine without a gasket, I just don't want to keep burning lump longer than I have to because I re-use what doesn't burn for the next cook.

IMG_0626.jpg

Good luck with your gasket installation. I just sprayed the Super 77 into a disposable cup instead of doing the masking. Much easier to deal with.
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Mike, Do you use the ADJUSTABLE RIG on the Xl ? I know it is for a LARGE and there isn't one for the XL.

Thanks.

Gary

5 Coats of Urethane and 3 - 5 more to go.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Why yes, I do:
    IMG_0597.jpg
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Dave,

You will eliminate a lot of headache with a few modifications to the video.

1. Use 91% alcohol instead of acetone.

MAPP torch helps also but then you are working with warm/hot surfaces.

2. Do not follow the assistant's method of applying the cleaner. The way he does the clean is just sloppy and slow going. It will make the process hard.

After rough scraping the old gasket material off then work in 8 to 10 inch sections.

Get some of the auto shop paper towles - the blue ones.

Soak a section and let the alcohol sit on the surface and have time to soften the adhesive. While you are waiting soak the next section and using the paper towel wipe up the first section. Soak again the first section and wipe off the second section.

While the second section is soaking it's first soak, soak the third section and final wipe down the first section.

Repeat the process around the entire surface. Don't panic if some alcohol runs down the inside or outside of the egg it will not be a problem.

Using this process the dome and base of an egg can be completely cleaned to white or almost white in 15 to 20 minutes.

I have now cleaned and changed 9 gaskets - it works.

What I have not tried yet is using a torch to remove the gasket. That might also be a good method.

Have a good weekend.

Kent
  • Jimbo FL
    Jimbo FL Posts: 1
    Options
    Interested to hear how things went with the install - I have mine to do this weekend.

Do you guys spray both sides (egg & gasket) (as in Freds notice above the video http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/474.htm)

Thanks,

Jim