Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

BGE vinyl cover

PA Dutch EggerPA Dutch Egger Posts: 128
edited 3:34AM in EggHead Forum
I just bought the BGE vinyl cover for my large egg. How cool does the egg have to be before I can put it on the egg after cooking?

Comments

• I let it get below 150 before I put it on but thats just me. I have heard some say 200.
  • jpEGGjpEGG Posts: 60
    I usually wait and throw it on at 175 or below.
  • Richard FlRichard Fl Posts: 8,217
    When using the large or small, I place the cover on the next day and it never is an issue, otherwise I would miss some early to bed nappy time in the pm.
  • EggmoramusEggmoramus Posts: 84
    I wait until it is totally cool
  • EggmoramusEggmoramus Posts: 84
    I wait until it is totally cool
  • skihornskihorn Posts: 600
    I have done it at 200 with no problem. However, after reading posts on here I figured why take a chance? The cover is not cheap. Many people never cover theirs. Therefore, if it is bed time and it is still hot to the touch I figure one night uncovered won't hurt it.

Freddie
    League City, TX
  • RVHRVH Posts: 523
    While I prefer to allow the egg to cool to 180°, I regularly place the vinyl cover on at 200°, with no ill effects. I have done this for two years.