Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ABTs: they Burned me, so I Burned 'em back! (advice needed)

Options
VaDave
VaDave Posts: 21
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I did my first batch of ABT's last night...with a few glitches along the way.[p]First, I disregarded the advice on this forum about using rubber gloves. I figured that I've chopped many jalapeno peppers before, so it wouldn't be a problem. Well, I was wrong. I guess I hadn't chopped 24 peppers at a time. Anway, they ended up giving me some nice (and quite painful) chemical burns on my hands. My hands were throbbing for about the next 4 hours![p]Not wanting to take this insult lying down, I got my revenge: I gave the ABT's a dose of their own medicine. Yep, that's right....I burned 'em. Well, not all of them, but a few got incinerated. Here's what happened: every time I opened the egg to turn them, the rendered grease burst in to flame due to the availability of oxygen. By the time I finished turning a few of them, the grease was burning so hot that it was charring the ABT's. I tried turning them a few times, but it wasn't getting any better.[p]So finally, I put down a double layer of heavy duty foil, and put all the ABT's on that. At this point, they were basically baking instead of grilling, but they finished without further combustion. In the end, only about 10% of them were incinerated, and the rest were pretty tasty. (A great prelude to 6 2pound lobsters in fact.)[p]So my question is: was there anything I could have done differently to cook the ABT's direct, but to avoid the charring caused by grease flare-ups?[p]For the record, the setup was direct on the lower grate of a large BGE, dome temp at 325.[p]Thanks! VaDave

Comments