Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Is my wife gonna shoot me?

Options
mike
mike Posts: 152
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Greetings! This is my first post here and I am hoping for some expert advice. I just signed up and purchased a large BGE that I will take home at the end of the midwest eggfest. I am new to the world of ceramic bbq's and I hope I have made the right decision. I decided to take it all the way and will be cooking at the eggfest. [p]I have spent several years cooking on a weber and I have used a brinkmann smoker from time to time. The food has always been ok, but it turned into a lot of work on more than a few occasions. This along with the lifetime warranty are the reason I elected to go with a BGE...(if my wife finds out how much it cost me she just might shoot me). Is anyone planning to attend this event and what would be good for a first time cook?[p]Thoughts on this and cooking advice are very welcome. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• LOG
    LOG Posts: 85
    Options
    Mike,
    Once your wife has tasted food from the BGE there will be no problem. Just tell her how much you spent after she has tried the food. I also got my BGE at an eggfest this spring in Waldorf. My wife could not be happier. Cooked a 8 pound chicken last night with Tsunami Spin. I could have drowned in the juice. For the first cook I would suggest something easy like Pork Tenderloin. This is a easy cook and always tasty. Keep looking here for suggestions the people are very helpfull. Good luck and don't get too big!
    LOG

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    Mike,[p]Try this method for cooking steaks - you won't be disappointed. Good for a first cook.[p]As far as the wife thing goes - don't worry about that, she'll end up loving you for it later. Besides, it's easier to ask for forgiveness than for permission, right?[p]- TRex
    [ul][li]Eat you heart out Ruth's Chris[/ul]
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mike, we all have had the same initial sticker shock that your wife might have, but the difference is that the BGE is a lifetime item that won't be rusting or needing replacement metal guts. I had paid $550 for a Ducane gassy that only lasted me 3 years let alone a history of Webers and some water smokers. All of that crap has been kicked to the curb years ago.
    Hey maybe you'll get lucky like I did - as my wife loved my cooking on the large so much that she proceded to give me a small and then a medium to round out the family.

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • BucsFanJim
    BucsFanJim Posts: 161
    Options
    Mike,
    My first cook on the BGE was a little bit of a reward for my wife, my bo and his wife after they spent a better part of the day in helping prepare a spot for the BGE by our pool. We cooked several things that night.
    First on the grill was marinated boneless skinless chicken breasts...my kids said that was THE BEST chicken they had ever tasted.
    Then threw on a dozen drumsticks, aided by a chunk of hickory, then topped off with Hooters medium wing sauce.
    The did a large 2" sirloin, rubbed with salt, garlic powder and Chef Pauls blackened steak seasoning. I rubbed that approx 2 hours before cooking and let it come to near room temp before throwing it on at 650 degrees.
    ABSOLUTELY the BEST SIRLOIN we've had.
    In summary, we cooked ALOT of food during the evening and to know that I can crank up the egg to 700 degrees after all that cooking just blows me away.
    You won't be dissapointed!

• mike
    mike Posts: 152
    Options
    Thank you all for the advice on cooking for the first time on the BGE. I am excited about it and have been digging up all sorts of really cool recipes that I am going to try. The steak cook at high temerature sounds especially enticing. [p]I told my wife about the purcace over the weekend while we were at the lake with our 2 sons making a considerable dent in the crappie population and she took it pretty well. Sounds like all I have to do now is get to cooking on it and hope the family will like the results.[p]Again, thanks to all that responded and I hope to hear more. It would be great to see so many knowlegable BGEggheads at the Midwest Eggfest in Springfield, MO as I am sure I could benefit from more advice as I am giving it my first go.

• Mike,if your wife likes to cook you are going to be a busy man.I got one for Father's Day and my wife loves it.After about three days she told me to sell the gasser and she has come up with some great things to cook. This past weekend she won a first place with a grits key lime pie cooked entirely on the Egg.You will find the forum a great place to find info. and new ideas.Once she learns the Egg she may shoot you for not cooking more.I think you're safe with your purchase,enjoy it, and great cooking. Poppasam