Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza

Options
nvoss
nvoss Posts: 5
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was wondering if using a pizza peel will make putting a thin crust pizza on the egg easier then sliding it off a pan

Comments

• AZRP
    AZRP Posts: 10,116
    Options
    Yes I think it will. -RP
  • Jersey Doug
    Jersey Doug Posts: 460
    Options
    It certainly will if there's some flour on the bottom of the pizza and some cornmeal on the peel.
  • BobS
    BobS Posts: 2,485
    Options
    Grill toys are always good!!

I have a peel and would hate to be without it, but I see it as a nice tool and not essential. If you do not have a peel, you need something like a cookie sheet that does not have a rim on the edge.

Here is a previous post on using parchment, which I really recommend.

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&Itemid=55&func=view&catid=1&id=640782

Good luck.
  • JohnB
    JohnB Posts: 183
    Options
    in my short experience -- yes. Having the handle on the peel gives you more control over placing the pie on the egg. It also keeps your hands further away from the heat.

I've never used parchment, but I cook a more Italian style pie -- thin crispy crust and a moderate amount of ingredients. If you're really going to load up your pie you may want to try the parchment.

Also, I've found it helpful, as mentioned above, to put a good dusting of cornmeal on the peal. Additionally, jiggle the pie to keep it loose on the peel during every step of building it.

good luck!
  • Darnoc
    Darnoc Posts: 2,661
    Options
    Parchment is great.It does let you assemble the pie on it and along with a peel you can slide it off onto the stone.The chance of it getting stuck are rare.After one minute you can remove the parchment and let the pizza stone do its thing during the cooking process.