Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Noob Question

Options
Dex
Dex Posts: 85
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Doing some ribs today. After you get the egg fired up, what is the best way to get the temp down?

Its sitting at 400 right now and I have bot the top and the bottom closed down. Obviously I need to go down a ways more.

Should I keep the lid up and the bottom vent closed?

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Throw some cold meat on it and close the top and bottom until you get near 250F. Then start adjusting.
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    you want to try to catch the temp on the way up.. cause it will be easier on you..

if you have not put your platesetter in yet it will suck up alot of heat.. along with richards suggestion

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• FlaPoolman
    FlaPoolman Posts: 11,677
    Options
    One of the advantages of the egg is the heat retention so it will take a bit to get it back down. Like Terry said catch it on the way up. After throttling it back down you need to watch to make sure your fire is not out as even if it's snuffed it will still stay hot for a bit.
  • Dex
    Dex Posts: 85
    Options
    Thanks guys. He was right, buy the time I added my smoking chips, plate setter, and got the ribs on, the temp was down and now its smoking away at 225 :woohoo:
  • Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    You have 2 possibilities. close both vents and wait, or put a heat sink into the egg as they said before me. If you have a cold plate setter and pizza stone, that would work. Maybe a pan of water, but be careful with that, people have said that they have been burned by steam when opening the egg.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    The one thing that hasn't been mentioned is DON'T let your egg get too hot. It will take far longer to cool off them it does to heat up.

Start shutting down your egg as you approach your desired temp. Everything that needs to be in the egg (plateseter, drip pans, spider/pizza stone, grates) should be in from the time you light the fire.

On low and slow cooks you'll be dampening down before the fire is ready to cook. This is OK. The egg and the fire will stabilize and all will be good.

Just make sure the smoke is clear or very light blue.