Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Hi GTIPROD - XL/L/S notes for you...

Options
Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi Gary,

Been posting some cooks recently on the XL because I've been wanting to get one for a long, LONG time now. I started out with an LBGE, having switched over from a Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis gasser, and a New Braunfels Black Diamond smoker. Needless to say, there was significantly less room on the BGE. However, the good people of the forum showed me the way, and I've been able to cook lots of things on the eggs.

XL is different from L which is different than S. Here are some notes on that:

1. XL requires a lot more lump. Obviously, it is a bigger cooker to get up to temp.
2. XL has a shorter lump-to-grid distance than the L, but not as short a distance as the S. However, the S cooks more like the L in my opinion.
3. Draft door settings are different for any given temperature. The gaps are different for 350° on each of the cookers.
4. Time-to-temp is different on each cooker. The L gets up to temp the quickest, followed by the XL, then the S. I light them all the same way--with MAPP gas.

Hope this helps...I really love the XL for its space, and will probably use it as my #1 after I get some new hardware from CGS so that I can take advantage of all that grid space. As far as favorite or recommended cookers, I really like the LBGE, followed by the XL even though I've just had it for a few weeks now. I like the SBGE, but as a second for your XL, I'd recommend the LBGE unless you do a lot of camping or tailgating or some other activity which would require a smaller, more portable cooker.

Comments

• EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Mike,
    That says it all. I am interested in getting from the CGS a LUMP Reducer. You have any thoughts on the Reducer ? Is it true, when the screen door is closed, the temp goes down 30 % ?

Thanks.

Gary
    Canoga Park, Ca.
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    Tom sent me a note about that when I was asking about the Woo XL, and he told me that I wouldn't really be in the market for one because I've got other cooker already.

Pato has one (PWise on the forum) and may be able to shed more light on that accessory.

Regarding the screen mesh door, I always cook with it closed, because small bits of lump can shoot out of the bottom--I've seen some hit the screen during some late night cooks. Bad news, especially if you've got a wood table or if the egg is sitting on a wood deck of sorts.

I'll be following along to see how things go in XL-land for you. Plus, I'd like to see how your table turned out, too :) I'm really excited to cook stuff again so that I can learn about the idiosyncrasies of the Big Boy. I was the same way when I got the SBGE, and cooked everything under the sun on it when I added it to the stable.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Thanks for sharing the info on the XL Mike. Interesting.

Kent
  • EGGARY
    EGGARY Posts: 1,222
    Options
    Mike,
    Thanks of the tip of closing the screen and wooden table. I would not have thought of that.

Gary
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Gary,

When the vent is wide open full, other than lump stacking restriction, unrestricted air flow will pass.

Looking at the screen it is obvious there has to be air restriction. I have not and engineer nor do I have a way to measure, however, from the looks of the screen there some restriction. I am thinking 30% to 50%.

If the DFMT is far open or off the egg, other than searing, high temperature pizza cook, the lower vent will never be full open when using the egg to cook. The lower vent will probably never be 1/2 open even with the lower vent closed. Unless, the user is using the DFMT to do the course control of the egg temperature.

Kent