Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cheese/Leg of Lamb Tonight

Options
BluesnBBQ
BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I tried smoking cheese for the first time last night, and I'm very pleased with the results.[p]I used a simple cheap block of Cracker Barrel white cheddar. I put a foil pan full of ice in the freezer, and put a small roasting rack on top of it. I probably had it in the freezer for about an hour.[p]I got the lump going, and put a couple of soaked hickory chunks on the coals. I shut the vents as much as I could, and put my pizza stone on the grid. I put the foil pan and rack, with the cheese on it, on the stone. I smoked it for about an hour - when the ice was melted I figured that would be enough. It never got above 200. I turned the cheese about every fifteen minutes. It softened some, but it firmed back up in the fridge. I've only had one piece from the end. That piece was very smokey. Hopefully all of it will be like that. I think next time I'll let the cheese sit in the freezeer for a while before I smoke it.[p]Tonight I'm trying leg of lamb for the first time. I bought a boneless, butcher twine-tied leg. It's marinading in red wine, lemon juice, olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, onion poweder and fresh rosemary. I'm not very much into lamb, but I think this is going to turn out great.

Comments

• djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    BluesnBBQ:[p]Smoke at lower temperatures . . . Freezing cheese, even lightly, runs the risk of changing the flavor a bit. Plus, the ability of the cheese to absorb smoke is lessened.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    BluesnBBQ,
    lamb on the egg will make your eyes roll into the back of your head.....[p]i don't know WHY they insist on boning them. next time, try bone in.[p]"bones and fat is where it's at".

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • BluesnBBQ
    BluesnBBQ Posts: 615
    Options
    stike,[p]The only ones I could find at the supermarket were boned, and I didn't feel like going to the meat market. But I definitely want to try bone in some time.
  • djm5x9
    djm5x9 Posts: 1,342
    Options
    stike:[p]I used to like leg of lamb "bone in" until I tried them boneless. I think much of it had to do with the ease of slicing the meat and a more consistant cook without the bone. Plus, it is much easier to lay a boneless leg out for marinating then roll it back up for the cook. Thoughts for consideration . . .
    [/b]