Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Disaster avoided!!

Options
DryFly
DryFly Posts: 351
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I was doing 6 racks of bb"s for a 1st b'day party for my granddaughter when I thought that after an hour or so my egg was burning hot and the ribs were a little too far along. I pulled my Tru Temp and tested it in boiling water and found that it was registering about 70 degrees too low. I re-calibrated it and continued the cook at about 210-225 dome. I had about 37 people that would have been hugely disappointed If I hadn't caught it. I did 2 racks on my Small, which had the original temp gauge from BBG, which I also tested and was dead on. and they all came out great.

From now on I'll test my gauges before each cook. This is my 2nd Tru Temp. You can't be too careful.

Comments

• cookn biker
    cookn biker Posts: 13,407
    Options
    Good save!
    Thanks for the reminder.
    Molly
    Colorado Springs
    "Loney Queen"
    "Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it."
    Bill Bradley; American hall of fame basketball player, Rhodes scholar, former U.S. Senator from New Jersey
    LBGE, MBGE, SBGE , MiniBGE and a Mini Mini BGE
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Good Catch.

It won't hurt but I am not sure I would go to the effort of testing before each cook. I check mine about every 3 months or so.

Glad your cook came out well.

GG