Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need some tips/tricks for the mini setup

Mac  in NC
Mac in NC Posts: 287
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hello all,[p]I've noticed over the last few weeks that several of you have a mini amongst your collection. I just received mine and was hoping that those with "mini expertise" could give me some tips or pointers so that I can learn its true potential. (YB, I've already taken your advise and purchased an extra grid. Just need to find a fabricator to make the ring you spoke of now.) How about a daisy wheel? Is there any way to make one that's affordable and functional?
Lastly, what kind of "nest" should I keep it in? I plan to use it quite a bit during the fall camping season and remembered seeing a post with one in a stainless steel wire crate. Looked interesting. [p]Thanks for your help! Mac

Comments

• GaDawg
    GaDawg Posts: 178
    Mac in NC ,
    You can easily make a daisy wheel out of 2 small tuna
    fish cans. Empty them and wash them, then rivet the 2
    closed ends together. One rivet, dead center.
    Put some sacrificial wood in the bottom can and drill
    a string of holes through both can bottoms. As you spin
    the cans on the rivet, you change the size of the air openings. BTW, this is not my original idea, but I don't
    remember who first posted it.
    Chuck

• Chef Arnoldi
    Chef Arnoldi Posts: 974
    337%3B9%3A2%3B23232%7Ffp3%3B%3Dwp%3E2327%3D8%3A3%3D677%3Dxroqdf%3E23233%3A287826%3Bwp1lsi
    <p />Mac in NC , i bought the smallest daisy wheel available & glued about 5 layers of felt on the inside to make a snug fit.
    337%3B9%3A2%3B23232%7Ffp8%3Evq%3D3236%3E7%3B2%3E586%3Ewsnrcg%3D3232493545956vq0mrj[p]i also made the Stainless steel ring that "YB" helped me with, and modified it by having 3 1/2" bolts spotwelded on the outside edge @ 120° appart to center the ring & also allowed me to screw in nuts to raose or lower the ring.
    from a pizza stone i carved out a mini plate setter to rest on the fire ring to prevent burnig of the meat (chicken) and allowes me a place to put aluminum foli for a drip pan.
    i you need any other info - e-mail me.
    enjoy this wonderful smoker.

• MickeyT
    MickeyT Posts: 607
    Chef Arnoldi,[p]Larry told me about your setup. Could you please e-mail me that picture? I would love to do the same thing.[p]Thanks.[p]Mick

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    MickeyT,
    I did mine here at work the same way Chef Arnoldi did his mini last week....The only difference is I used four 1/2" stainless steel bolts and nuts.Hope you had a great weekend at the lake...we did.
    Larry

• J Appledog
    J Appledog Posts: 1,046
    Mac in NC , [p]With a little practice & patience you can learn to control the mini temp using just the bottom vent. [p]Doughmakers makes some little pizza pans that are great for the mini. I even use them to make cookies on the mini when we go to Indy for F1 racing. Weber's little pans for collecting grease from their gas grills come in handy also as drip pans.[p]JCA

• Mac  in NC
    Mac in NC Posts: 287
    J Appledog, Thanks!!! I'll look into those company products as soon as I get off work today. Mac