Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Almost ready for the block party tonight

Beanie-Bean
Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Butts are at 194°/196° now and are almost ready for the block party later tonight. Gotta do some hot dogs for some of the kids in a little bit. Full report later on...

IMG_4054.jpg

Dizzy Dust, French's yellow mustard, and some kosher salt (DP rub was the salt-free stuff.) 250° dome via DigiQ, and oak chips in the lump, hickory chunks at the beginning and again about 90 min ago. Gotta run!

Comments

• Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I wouldn't use those for the block party. Better send them to me for complete testing - OR - where is this block party at.

Nice looking cook.

Kent
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    Lookin good Mr. Bean ;) I'm with Kent,just where is this block party? :P ;) Enjoy the party man,I know the guests will eat well :woohoo:
  • Great looking bark my friend, any advice you can offer?
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Doug, how's my deck coming along? See you at Mikes block party - or we can steal his cook. Either option is fine with me and will give me some good eat'n coming home with the deck hooked on.

Both have a good holiday.

Kent
  • AnnaG
    AnnaG Posts: 1,104
    Looking good!!! You have plenty of folks wishing they lived on your block, right about now (me included).
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Nice looking meat Doug, have fun tonight

Ross
  • Bevo
    Bevo Posts: 179
    Beanie,

Hey Mike, are you not going to watch the World 600 race tonight? Seriously, your neighbors are lucky to have your contributions to the block party.

Are you enjoying your new table?

Regards,
  • Susan Egglaine
    Susan Egglaine Posts: 2,437
    Grandpas Grub wrote:
    Doug, how's my deck coming along? See you at Mikes block party - or we can steal his cook. Either option is fine with me and will give me some good eat'n coming home with the deck hooked on.

Both have a good holiday.

Kent
    Dang Grandpa, Santa is watchin & you are not getting any egg goodies this year!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:
    Mike you turn good people evil :evil: :laugh:
  • BigGreenDawg
    BigGreenDawg Posts: 327
    Mike those do look sweeeeeet. Do you mix sugar in the raw w/ your DP? That bark looks NICE!
  • JLOCKHART29
    JLOCKHART29 Posts: 5,897
    Your butt looks great but "Block party"?? You are such the urban stud!! :P
  • AlwaysGolf
    AlwaysGolf Posts: 704
    Good looking bark. Finishing off my butt in the oven. Got sidetracked making the daughters dinner and getting chicken pieces ready for the wife to take to work for her coworkers and lost track of butt. Good thing it is to only use in beans and maybe some tacos/burritos. Maybe I should just come grab that one. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Making ribs and chicken tomorrow.

Have a good Memorial Day buddy!
  • Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Whew! Gonna have a hangover in the morning, but maybe not if I take some Tylenol tonight :) Great time, of course, and the BGE stole the show without even being there. Everyone enjoyed the pulled pork (or at least they were being polite to me!) So nice to spend some time together with some good friends in the neighborhood. Many of our kids grew up together, and they were all having a blast on the water slides and rope swings at our neighbor's place.

Anyhow, here is the one pic of the pulled pork before it was eaten up:

IMG_0552.jpg

Thanks for checking out the post. Here are my responses to everyone so far:

@Kent - Block party was four houses down from us.

@Doug - you called it right--everyone ate well

@Susan - didn't mean to turn him to the dark side :)

@El Dirty - for the bark, I put Dizzy Dust then some yellow mustard, followed by another round of Dizzy Dust. I used the salt-free version, so I also added in a bit of kosher salt. Oak chips mixed in with the lump, and hickory chunks on top just before I put on the butts, followed by 2 more hickory chunks about 90 min before I took them off the cooker

@AnnaG - you're welcome to stop by any time you're in the Austin area

@Ross - thanks, but I haven't changed my name recently :P

@Colin - we had a blast! Had to come home early with my son, because he had a friend coming over for a sleepover tonight. Boss Lady is still there with my other kid. Table is great! Got the old reliable #1 cooker in there just fine.

@Mark - no turbinado sugar in the rub other than what DP put in it. Check out my response to El Dirty for what I did to get the nice bark

@JL - OK, OK...neighborhood get-together. That better for ya? Hope they're not working you too hard at the plant, my friend.

@Alvin - Thanks! I'll be doing some spare ribs tomorrow, too. Have a great holiday tomorrow!