Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Marathon cook report!

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Ribs!.jpg
<p />Howdy all.[p]Friday and Saturday involved pretending like I was competing, and trying to pull off the four main categories. Mainly wanted some practice, and also figgered it was a good excuse to have a big pahtay![p] My daughter Jenna helped rub the ribs up.
JennaRubsRibs.jpg[p]The brisket was a purty 12.5 pounder. Trimmed it up nice and saved the fat to lay on top.
BrisketTrim.jpg[p]After cooking overnight, it developed the trademark meteorite look!
Brisket.jpg[p]The butts looked great, but unexplainably the big one was dryer than any butts I remember cooking. Strange, the small one was awesome.
Butts.jpg[p]For some reason the chicken was my favorite of all four. Took the least time, and satisfied my tastebuds the most.
Chicken.jpg[p]I did not even get to try the ribs. My buddy Kenny cut them up while I was outside, and people were real hungry. By the time I got back inside with the other meat, the ribs were gone.[p]Anyway, all in all a fun weekend. Busy, but fun and definitely rewarding when it was all said and done. Hope yall had a fantastico weekend as well. Keep them cookers goin'![p]Beers
Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Banker John
    Banker John Posts: 583
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Great pictures Chris. It is good to see the family helping out and learning from a master. I once heard someone say, "Acorns don't fall very far from the tree." I hope Jenna will learn the love of cooking that you have![p]Banker John

• Cornfed
    Cornfed Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Very nice. Everything looks really good. Sounds like some good preparation for next weekend.[p]I'm thinking of throwing something on the cooker for dinner this evening, just don't know what.[p]Later,
    Cornfed
    [/b]
  • char buddy
    char buddy Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]I'd give the ribs a 9 for presentation. But next time you should send a six piece sample up to the house so's I can give out taste and tenderness points ;-)[p]I'm guessing there won't be any recipes for the ribs and sauces until after the competition season ends.[p]All kidding put aside - those were so righteous looking vittals, my friend.
  • bigarms
    bigarms Posts: 136
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Looks great....wish that I would have cooked this weekend now.[p]What is the gasket material that you have on your egg. I need to replace mine and this caught my eye.[p]

• Unknown
    Options
    Nature Boy, everything looks GREAT. What kind of rub did you put on the chicken? Thx.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    banker john,
    We'll see what happens as this acorn starts a-sproutin! Only time will tell, but the girls are definitely showing an interest in learning and helping. Lan can teach them about authentic Vietnamese cuisuine, so will hopefully grow up with a balanced view of cooking.[p]Love of cooking? You bet.
    Master? No way, dude! But thanks!! Maybe someday.
    Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    bigarms,
    I finally replace my gasket after 4 years, and opted for the Rutland 5/8 inch tape. [p]There is a nice writeup on installing it. Do a Google search for "BGE rutland gasket" and you'll get it.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Thanks Bill.
    Chicken is lightly brined and covered heavy with Tsunami Spin.[p]Beers!
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    Nature Boy, here's a site about the Rutland and the process. Also "bigarms" if you'll email me I'll send you the full text from which this site was summarized.

[ul][li]Rutland instructions on Charcoal Mike's site[/ul]
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tach18k
    tach18k Posts: 1,607
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    I only saw one flaw in the pictues..
    never rub food with kids in a new shirt. Something my wife caught. :-)

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    first, brett and i looked at the pictures. .. beautiful food... so. . .why weren't your favorite beltway neighbors invited???? fraid we'd get clued in on your competition secrets??????. . i'm only a little insulted!!! (just kidding). ..[p]btw. .. at least give up what gave the chicken that golden color??. .. if i didn't know better, i'd guess you were using some of ken stone's gilded splinters. . .but that couldn't be. . .you only use that dizzy stuff. .. heee

• Nature Boy
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Secrets? I aint got no secrets! Plus you fellers on the Free Range BBQ team aint playin around. You don't need no stinkin secrets! [p]I love Ken's rubs. And the Tsunami, like Gilded Splinters (if I assume correctly), contains some of that wonderful bright yeller spice called Tumeric . Also, I think the color is partly the result of the low temp direct cook.[p]End-o-the weekend beverages to you! I think imonna shut of the lights here.
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    tach18k,
    Once the shirt gets a nice stain on it, it no longer matters right? Might as well get started right away![p]LOL. Yeah, my wife would have said something if she saw what was going on. I am just like a kid when it comes to that stuff. Been known to wipe food on my pants while wearing an apron. I definitely do not make a good example.[p]Hee
    Chris

DizzyPigBBQ.com