Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, see our new showroom and check out the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

I have a 7.75 lb beef brisket......tell me how???

edited 6:47PM in EggHead Forum
hey gang,[p]just picked up a 7.75 lb beef brisket and I wanna cook it low and slow! I need it for tonight's dinner....I need cooking times and temps...gimme yur best input!!! remember..LOW and SLOW!!! [p]thanx,[p]Da_Butcher

Comments

• Da_Butcher,
    I am cooking one now. I marinated it overnight in pineapple juice. I use plastic bags. Next set it out to reach room temp. Coat it with mustard & cover it with a rub.[p]Try to keep your temp at 225 degrees. When the polder thermometer reads 120 wrap it in foil & put it back on the egg. [p]About every 30 minutes to an hour mist it with olive oil & apple juice. When the internal temp reaches 180 degrees take it off & let it stand for 1 hour before slicing.
    If you need to hold it, place it in a styrofoam cooler. It will maintain temp for 2 hour or more.
    Let me know how it works.[p]I am a certified judge here in Metro Kansas City. Even the best competitors have difficulty in turning out excellent brisket consistantly. It typically chews "dary".[p]

• chucklschuckls Posts: 399
    Wayne,
    I've got a brisket (8 lb.) on now, too. I used Elder Ward's World Class brisket recipe. I put it on at noon, but I need it done in 6-7 hours so I'm kicking the temp up from 240 (where its been the last two hours) to 270. At 225 vs 270 do you think the cooking time would double?[p]But your post is intriguing to me. How do you, as a judge (of BBQ I assume) get to be 'certified'? Re: your marinade of pineapple juice, did you juice the pineapple yourself, or used that canned stuff from the store? I would have thought that the store bought stuff would have the enzymes destroyed by pasturization. [p]One question about cooking the brisket - do you recommend always foiling the brisket during part of the cook cycle? Which part? and why? Elder Ward's recipe didn't say anything about wrapping in foil. Maybe I shouldn't because its a rub not a maridade?

[ul][li]Elder Ward's brisket [/ul]
  • chuckls,
    I don't know about the increase in temp & cooking time.[p]The Kansas City Barbaque Association conducts judging classes. There is a contest every weekend within 100 miles. There is a judge for each team, i.e., 50 teams equals 50 judges. A table captain brings a styrofoam container from each team. He/she presents them for judging of appearance. Next each judge gets 1 sample/portion from each of the 6 teams. You do not know whose product you are judings. Judges scores the product from 0 to 9...for appearance, tenderness & taste. [p]A typical contest consists of Chicken, Ribs, Pork Butt & Brisket. [p]I see the experts cook each contest. They typically cook brisket for 2 hours & then wrap it in foil & finally remove the foil to finish it off. I am doing that now as the internal temp reached 180. [p]I use the cheapest pinapple, canned juice. It breaks down the fibers.[p]Teams typically cook brisket 15 to 20 hours. They start Friday night for juding at noon on Saturday. [p]I cook on a Traeger, wood pellet, Texas Style smoker. You dial in the temp you want & it feeds the pellets to maintain that temp. Under the product, there is a tray that drains the fluids into an outside bucket. I line it with foil to speed the flow.[p]I bought a Green Egg because I cooked on one in Japan while in the USAF (nostalgia) & the Traeger doesn't have enough height to use a Spanek tower. I cook all poultry vertically. Capons are our favorite.[p]Also, the Traeger won't get hot enough to sear a steak. The Traeger has 600 si of service so I cook with it full.[p]The recent purchase of a Polder thermometer serves me well. It measures the temp of the product & the inside of the cooker.[p]I have 2 spray bottles, 1 for olive oil & 1 for apple oil. I mist the products every 30 minutes to 1 hour.[p]Good Luck.

• TRexTRex Posts: 2,709
    Da_Butcher,[p]Check out my post above - I go into some details on how I just did a 6.5 pounder successfully.[p]TRex
  • Wayne Moorhead,
    I'm not clear on your times and temp. How much direct smopke, how long in the foil , and then how long back in direct. Is any of the time indirect out of foil? Thanks, I can't get good brisket here in San Diego, so I bought an egg to do it myself - last couple were all dried out!

• nogoodbbqinCA,
    Just cooked a 5 pounder yesterday. [p]I smoked it for about 2 hours or until the internal temp reached 120. The experts say it won't take smoke after that.[p]I then wrapped it in foil & cooked it until the internal temp reached 170. Removed the foil & continued to cook until 185. I will cook until 200 next time. [p]While in the foil I misted it with olive oil & apple juice every hour. The competitors do that here in Metro Kansas City.[p]I wrapped it in 905 film & let it set on the counter for about 2 hours before slicing.[p]I use a great over my coals & place a drip pan on it. Next time I will use a pizza stone for everything except poultry.[p]Wayne