Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Twist on the Jalapeno Popper

Options
Pepper Monkey BBQ
Pepper Monkey BBQ Posts: 652
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
The other day I decided to try a new twist, at least for us, with the popper. Normally I slice the pepper in half, fill with cream cheese, wrap in bacon and cook until the bacon is crispy.

I was reading a BBQ book while on vacation last week (Alaskan Cruise ... fantastic!!) --- oh don't worry, we had an egg sitter for our two eggs who also was kind enough to feed our pets --- In the BBQ book they had a recipe for "Armadillo Eggs." Whole Jalapeno with end cut off and seeded, stuff with cream cheese (dyed yellow if you really want the 'egg' effect) and completely wrapped in sausage in the shape of an egg. I tried it with italian sausage and they weren't bad ... but I think there is room for improvement.

Has anyone made poppers wrapped in sausage instead of bacon?

Good be back!
Joel

Comments

• Fidel
    Fidel Posts: 10,172
    Options
    Several times. Good stuff.

I was turned on to the idea by BENTE. They are very good. I like to let them cool then slice thinly and serve with an assortment of dipping sauces. They go over very well at parties.
  • Weekend Warrior
    Weekend Warrior Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I did 'em for appetizers on New Year's Eve. Say Hi to Erin!
  • Pepper Monkey BBQ
    Options
    I thought they were pretty good, but they were missing something. I was thinking next time I'd use chicken sausage then sprinkle some of my wing rub on the outside ... kind of like a chicken wing crusted jalapeno .... how could I go wrong with that concept!!!

JM
  • Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    Options
    They are great! These are some we made during the winter.

DSCI0012-10.jpg

DSCI0009-15.jpg
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    J&E, about 20 years ago a friend made something along that line but used hard boiled eggs instead of jalapeno. I think he called them porcupine eggs. He used hot sausage and baked them in an oven. I've made them several times over the years but I'll be making the jalapeno ones this weekend.

BTW, you broke my SBGE in very good at Waldorf. It's making some really good food. :) I'm sure you're enjoying yours also.

--Dave