Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

LOL High Temp cleaning a bad experience

Options
EggHead09
EggHead09 Posts: 52
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Well....I have cooked on my BGE for about the last month now 4 to 5 times a week anywhere from 250-400 degree temps. I figured my gaskets were well sealed. Obviously not they fell off when I opened the lid after 45 minutes at 550-600 degree temps. But I do not believe the dealer siliconed them on because it just looked like the regular adheasives on the back. I am going to by the nomex gaskets although I have another set of factory replacements...The lid lip really isn't very sticky...Any advice?!

Comments

• Little Chef
    Little Chef Posts: 4,725
    Options
    Clotronics gaskets here....you can see them here:
    http://www.bubbatim.com/Projects.php
    They are self adhesive...and we have had bullet proof luck with them....even with the thermometer pegged!
    Tim even has a little walk through on the page....some decent pics to help you see.
    Hope this helps!
  • PhilsGrill
    PhilsGrill Posts: 2,256
    Options
    If the gasket is still good, just peel off the backing. Use 3M 77 spray adhesive to put back on. Use wax paper to set the seal. Verify with the dollar bill test and you are back in business. No need for the Nomex unless the gasket is gone.
  • SGT BBQ
    SGT BBQ Posts: 190
    Options
    The big green egg suggest to use elmers glue if the gasket starts to come off. I have used it to repair loose spots on the gasket and it has worked well.
  • EggHead09
    EggHead09 Posts: 52
    Options
    awesome....So, I can reuse my gasket or should I just go ahead and change it..Gasket is in good shape otherwise. I even have the factory replacement gasket too....I just heard everybody talking about the nomex gasket...
  • Kevin_in_Tyrone
    Options
    Re-use the gasket. Eventually, you will need to replace it, at which point you can use the factory replacement you have in reserve. Eventually, you will have to replace that one, too, but it isn't so much trouble. You could get a different type of gasket at that point, or not ...