Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Grate temp is higher than dome temp- what gives???

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
So I just got my new Maverick ET-73 and according to it the grate temp is about 20 to 25 degrees higher than my dome temp. I thought it was supposed to be the other way around? I have an XL, which as you know has a different shape dome than the other models so maybe that has something to do with it? The probe is cliped to the grate using the clip that it came with and the probe is in the clip exactlty how it is shown in the picture. The probe isn't touching any metal (other than the clip), it isn't touching food, and it isn't over a direct flame. The probe is directly over one of my drip pans which has a little water in it. Fired the egg up around five and plugged the maverick in around 6 when the dome temp read 250 and the maverick registered 275. Right now at 7:30 the dome temp is 230 and the maverick is 255.
Any thoughts? I'm planning on doing my first overnight cook tonight and am counting on the maverick to let me know if me temp goes out of range.
Thanks
Nick

Comments

• WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Did you calibrate your dome thermometer???? either way if time is a problem..trust the maverick..however, it only takes a few minutes to calibrate and you can also check the maverick in the boiling water at the same time..in case there is a problem with it...better safe than sorry...
  • florida Nick
    Options
    WessB,
    No I didn't calibrate the dome thermometer, good call. Does it just come right out? I've only looked at the inside of the dome prob once and I think I remember it being held in by a simple slide type clip. Boiling water = 212?
    Thanks for the help
    Nick
  • WessB
    WessB Posts: 6,937
    Options
    Yeah..there is a clip on the inside...I say take it off and put it on the outside...212 boiling water, dont let the tip touch the pan itself....7/16 nut on the back of the dial and just turn it as needed...I have no idea how, or if you "can" calibrate the maverick but at least you'll know by how much it is off if in fact it is wrong.....calibrate the dome thermometer, slip the pinch clip back on and slide back in the hole in the dome...see if that doesn't get you closer..and you are right..dome should read higher at least for the first 6 or 8 hours, they will get closer together over time..
  • Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    Just curious. Where is the platesetter?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    I just calibrated both of my dome thermometers and they were both reading 50 degrees below actual temp. :ohmy: That is the way they both came and I just thought they were close. :ermm:
  • florida Nick
    Options
    WessB,
    Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I decided since I'm currently cooking up some ribs that it would be easier to first test the maverick with some boiling water. It was pretty much right on, it read 211, might have got to 212 if the water was a little deeper. SO for now I'm going with maverick and will calibrate the dome temp later. Thanks again.

Celtic Wolf,
    The platesetter is legs up on the fire ring with two aluminum drip pans lined with foil and with a little water in them sitting on the platesetter and the main grate is on top of the drip pans and the platesetter legs.

Panhandle,
    Looks like I'm gonna need to calibrate mine as well.

I guess so far Ive been cooking at too high temps...can't wait to see the results I get when I'm actually cooking at the RIGHT temp :woohoo:

Thanks again guys
    Nick
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I have experienced the same situation and have attributed to having the platesetter in so all of the heat has to come up the sides where my grill probe was located. I calibrated both probes and they were fine. If I would have had room I would have placed the probe in the middle of the grill but things were tight with 2 large butts.