Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

suggestions?

jb1020
jb1020 Posts: 41
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
cooking for about 10 people this weekend,wifes bday/memorial day. burgers are the obvious choice, but what else should i throw on the egg for good measure. ive had my egg 6 months now, but havent cooked for this many folks yet.

thanks!

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Given the long weekend, and the number of guests, maybe its time to try pulled pork. For ten adults, you would probably need to do 2 average size butts.

Or, boneless/skinless chik thighs, with a simple marinade cook really quickly, and go with sny number of sides.

Or, finish up with grilled pineapple sections that have been drizzled with rum/butter/brown sugar.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    If you want something tasty but not too time consuming, cook a few spatchcock chickens. Cook em direct or indirect, your choice. I've cooked indirect chickens on about 350 for 2 to 3 hours or until you hit 165 internal. I've also done a direct chicken at 450 to 500 and it was done in around an hour. Both cooks were delicious. I tend to do most of mine indirect at 350 for a few hours. Good Luck!
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Smoke a couple of Boston Butts, they are a crowd pleaser. It is time to do an over night cook. :laugh:
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    JB,

My first thought is to go with gdenby and Eddie - pulled pork. You can start it Sunday evening and have it ready by lunch time or later (15-16 hours, depending on size). Sam's has some of the best around (2 in a pack, about 7# each). Don't use the ones at Kroger, as they have been injected with water, sodium, and whatever!

Do you have a BBQ Guru (DigiQ2) or stoker?

What size Egg do you have?
  • jb1020
    jb1020 Posts: 41
    i was thinking more like appatizers. :) ive done butts, but we already have the burger meat.

i was thinking wings, or soemthing kinda like that, just to nibble on while the burgers cook.
  • "Sparky"
    "Sparky" Posts: 6,024
    ABT's are always a crowd pleaser!!!! ;) :woohoo:

ABTs005.jpg

Wings are also a great idea :)

007-19.jpg

Another idea is a couple fatties(not recommended by your cardiologist though) :lol:

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    ABT's and stuffed Mushrooms for getting things started. :)

IMG_4778.jpg
    IMG_5836.jpg
  • Misippi Egger
    Misippi Egger Posts: 5,095
    JB,

Wings are a great idea and an easy cook. Jana has decided that the "Egg wings" are better than Buffalo WW !

Simple recipe:
    1) Get BGE started and temp up to 400*. Use an elevated grid, direct. If you don't have one from the Ceramic Store or from BGE, use some firebricks to get the grid to the rim level or slightly higher. This prevents the rendering fat from over-charring the wings at this temp. No platesetter or drip pan.
    2) Pack of wings from Kroger (12 whole wings per pack=24 pieces)
    3) Trim and discard the tip piece
    4) Cut whole wing into the wing piece and little drummie piece
    5) Liberally season both sides. I use Dizzy Pig "Shaking the Tree" or "Swamp Venom" (Tom now carries these at the Madison BGE store). We do NOT like our wings breaded. This higher, direct cook gets the skin crispy.
    6) After fire is ready, cook direct, turning every 10 minutes to prevent over-charring. I find 20-30 minutes are enough, but I check with a Thermapen for 200* internal temp.
    7) Put about 1/2 bottle of sauce in a pan. (We LOVE the Carnivore sauce). Kroger sells the original Frank's wing sauce.
    8) When done, toss the wings in the sauce and put back on the grill for about 2 minutes per side (not long) just to seal the sauce in.
    9) Serve hot. :)
    10) Prepare for the raving that will occur!!! :woohoo: