Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked grain help?

Options
Cactus Doug
Cactus Doug Posts: 341
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have a coworker who has a serious home brewing hobby. He has asked me to smoke some barley for him. He says there is a type of beer that requires smoked grain. Has anyone done this before? I am thinking of using a wire basket, to hold the barley, and using a drip pan with ice to keep the temp down. Also thinking about very little lump and wood chunks. Cherry wood maybe? Any ideas out there?

Comments

• Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Clean the Egg.
    Use 3 or 4 natural hardwood briquets in the bottom of the Egg. Once burning, put apple and alder chunks on top of the briquets for smoke.
    Spread the barley on a metal screen.
    Leave the DFMT off and smoke the barley for about 2 hours.

I used this method to smoke barley and brown sugar for Risotto, and it worked well.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    Options
    Michale would you share the recipie for the risotto? that really sounds intriguing... Julie
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    what kinda malt is he trying to replicate?
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Stike he told me that originally the smoked beer is german called rauch beer. Historically some brewers dried their malt over a fire imparting a smokey flavor. Now people typically smoke 10% or less of the malt to give distinct flavor profiles. He says smoked malt is used in ales and porters most of the time. He told me malts smoked with beech wood and peat moss is commercially available. He asked me to put a sweeter smoke flavor on it. Im thinking cherry.
  • Michael B
    Michael B Posts: 986
    Options
    Dean Corbett’s Risotto

Ingredients
    2 cup barley
    1 cup dark brown sugar
    1 tbs minced shallots
    ½ tbs of minced garlic
    1 cup of white wine
    6 cup warm chicken stock
    BBF Bourbon Smoked Pepper
    BBF Smoked Sea Salt
    2 tbs BBF Kentucky Blueberry Sorghum

Directions
    Cold smoke barley and brown sugar for 2 hours. (You must cold smoke or the brown sugar will melt.)
    Saute barley, shallots, garlic and olive oil.
    Deglaze new mixture with wine.
    Add chicken stock one cup at a time. Each time it cooks down, add the next cup.
    Salt and pepper to taste
    Finish with sorghum.
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    i was asking because i wasn't sure if he was trying to replicate dark roasted stuff, which isn't smoked at all. but it sounds like he knows what he needs, and that you have it under control. like scotch malt, many malts for beer are dried over smokey fires.

if you have a pizza screen, i'd try it on that. maybe a couple layers one on the grid and another on a raised grid (indirect).

i'd go as low as you can, although if it roasted a bit, you'd get a little extra color.
    ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • Cactus Doug
    Options
    Thanks, I do have a screen. I will let you know how the beer turns out. Right now we have a good thing going I trade him BBQ for 1/2 gallon jugs of beer. Maybe I will post pics of the cook and finished product, beer!
  • Cory430
    Cory430 Posts: 1,073
    Options
    Have you seen the recent (as far as I know) setups for smoking cheese with a soldering iron and a can full of chips? That would give you the smoke without much heat.