Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first brisket

Options
jpEGG
jpEGG Posts: 61
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Planning first brisket this holiday weekend. 7+ pound flat. Done lots of research on this wonderful forum and think I have a plan for the cook. My only question is one of time for planning reasons. I'm thinking 10 to 12 hours (dome 250 to internal of 195), plus an hour or two in the warm cooler. Sound reasonable?

Comments

• civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I cooked a 12 lb packer cut last weekend. It sat in its plateau for 7+ hours without raising its internal temperature. It took about 16 hours which is what I have consistantly experienced. I would allow plenty of time. You can store it wrapped in a cooler for 4+ hours without any negative effect. I would plan on 14 hours plus 2 hours for resting which should give you plenty of leeway. Good luck!
  • dhuffjr
    dhuffjr Posts: 3,182
    Options
    think 1.5 to 2 hours per pound.

Personally things almost always finish closer to the 1.5 hours for me. Give yourself a little fudge room. Put it in a cooler with an area about the same as the brisket and put several old towels on top of it. I don't leave much of any air space at the top of the cooler and they stay hot for a long time.
  • Cactus Doug
    Cactus Doug Posts: 341
    Options
    I would give your self closer to the full 14 hrs. You could run with it at 10-12 hrs. I think if it were me that would make me nervous, the cooler/towell thing will hold it over. If you find yourself running out of time foil it and up the heat a little to 300 to speed up the cook. Good luck.
  • EddieMac
    EddieMac Posts: 423
    Options
    Every piece of meat is different.....Butts, shoulders, briskets, prime ribs.....all different...Hard to know exactly when they'll be finished because of fat content...gelatin....connective tissue....etc......

A brisket can go long and strong and short and easy...and alot depends on the eating habit of the beast you're going to eat....10-12 hours for a 7lb. flat sounds about right...I don't do flats as I prefer whole packer briskets...They just seem to be more moist, juicy and tender...but that's just me...

Good Luck! I'm doing a Rib Eye roast...and looking forward to that...

EMac