Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cyber-Q Question

Options
Crimsongator
Crimsongator Posts: 5,797
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I broke down and ordered the cyber-Q last night. Add me to the list of high tech eggnecks!

Here's my question, I want to be sure I got the right stuff. I ordered 2 fans (one for each egg). Did I need to order and extra meat and pit probe. I am trying to determine if 1 set or 2 sets come with the cyber-Q.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Comments

• Beanie-Bean
    Beanie-Bean Posts: 3,092
    Options
    I think that I'm fixin' to cave...you guys are killing me with all the new Q posts as of late. Congrats on the new, essential, required accessory!
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    You will need 2 sets, but I have no idea what comes with it. The Guru folks should have a what's included list.

You have some fun coming your way.

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I have used the pitminder for 2 years. I got to see the cyber Q at a recent cookoff. We are just calling it an early anniversary/fathers day gift :-)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    It looks like one set and no fans are included. I just want to be sure. If I need another set, I can get one pretty easily. I think they are interchangeable with the digi-Q
  • mikeb6109
    mikeb6109 Posts: 2,067
    Options
    you will need and extra probe set ! cyber only comes with one set.oh yeah don't forget the 2 draft door adapters.
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    The CyberQ only comes with 1 food probe and 1 pit probe. You will need to order a second pair. (Their website shows that you only get one pair of probes.)

Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Gene, let me know how you like it. I have been considering a Digi-Q but now the Cyber-Q is out it has a little better capabilities. I am getting tired of baby sitting these over nighters. I am just too paranoid of the fire going out. I got lucky the first time and caught it at 190* when I was maintaining at 225* Ever since I have bumped up to 250* for the over nighters but I still watch them closely. :)
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Got a adapters for a large and small already. I do need one more large adapter.
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    Hey Eddie, give me a shout if you are still up!
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Two DigiQ II's cost more than one CyberQ II with blowers, adapters, and probes for two cookers. Of course, the CyberQ II allows you to connect a PC to it if you want to, also. Having 2 DigiQ II's would be useful if you were going to use them physically apart from each other. As far as controlling the cookers goes, the CyberQ II is as good as the DigiQ II. I hope to post my review sometime this week. Good luck!
    The Naked Whiz
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    That was my thinking.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I guess the fan wouldn't be listed as there are different cfm's available. As recommended by Fred Sr. I got the Viper (10cfm) on my q2.

If you are going to use the Cyber on 2 eggs you may as well get a second set. If you have a q2 phone the guys and ask them if you can use that set on the Cyber.

GG
  • Crimsongator
    Options
    I do not have a digi-Q now. I did get the 10cfm fans. From the description, it appears the digi-Q probes and thermos fit the cyber. May be wrong, but that looks accurate.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Options
    I don't see why there would be a probe difference, I would think for manufacturing it would make sense to keep things the same. Less sku's & inventory.

I will be looking forward to reading your thoughts after you use it. I love the q2 and it looks like the Cyber-Q will be twice as good.

Kent
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    I have the Cyber QII and find it works very well. I did one cook with pit temp set at 350* with pit probe attached to the BGE dome therometer and it held it within 1 degree after coming to temp.

The second I did at 225* with pit probe attached to the grate. It overshoot the initial temp by about 20 degrees and after 10 hours the temps were oscillating about 5 degrees above or below the setpoint.

That was only my second cook with it so operator is most likey involved. But I did get a good night sleep with only one check during the night.

It comes with one set of probes only and no fan as others have said. A second set of probes would have allowed me to monitor the second butt.

--Dave
  • The Naked Whiz
    Options
    Plus/minus 5 degrees is bulls-eye, dead-eye, laser beam accuracy compared to a kitchen oven. Also, if you want better accuracy, you can try a little trick I learned. If you heat the cooker up to maybe +25 degrees over your target, then drop the pit set point back to your target, the unit seems to settle in quite nicely. I don't see that anyone here or at BBQ Guru recommends this, it is just something I noticed. And of course, the Guru works better the more air-tight the cooker is.
    The Naked Whiz
  • BuffaloChip
    BuffaloChip Posts: 106
    Options
    On the first cook I did overshoot just as you said, more by accident than by design. It was also a direct cook and the Cyber Q controlled within 1 degree at the higher temp.

I know it's said that weather doesn't affect the Egg very much but on my second cook at 225 I could see exactally when the rain started. I was watching the steam from the egg and the temp dropped at the same time. Only about 5 degrees and the fan did start. Now it could be a coincidence but the rain, temp drop and fan increse all happened at once. Something to keep an eye on and see if it repeats. I agree +/- is dead on just different than at the higher temp which for me is easier to control manually.

It is suprising to see the smoke coming from different areas on the egg. Most of mine came from where I had the four probe wires going through and some out of the lower vent area. Is smoke coming out of the lower vent a sign to open the daisy wheel more? I had the petals open about a 1/16 inch.

Have you found the control is better depending on the placement of the pit probe? Dome or grate better?

Thanks for the info and am looking forward to your review.

--Dave