Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Long Butts

BamaEGGBamaEGG Posts: 169
edited 4:07AM in EggHead Forum
I dont get it. The last 4 or 5 butts I have cooked have run really long. I put a 7 lb butt on last night. In another hour and 45 minutes it will have been on for 14 hours and the internal temp is sitting at 162. This means it is a long way from finishing. Possibly even pushing 20 hours. I trust the stoker and it seems to be keeping the temp stable at 225. I have stirred the coals one time about 20 minutes ago just to make sure that I hadn't burned a column through the lump.

I wasn't planning on having it till dinner but wow.
·

Comments

• BuckdodgerBuckdodger Posts: 911
    The last butt I did was a little over 7# and it took a little over 15 hrs. I do mine at 250 dome and i had mine hang at around 165 for a long time, then it shot up to 190* real fast. Wrapped it at 200* internal.
    Bob
    Alex City, Al

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Celtic WolfCeltic Wolf Posts: 9,768
    225 dome or grate? If that is 225 dome it will take a very long time to reach 195. Bump the temp up to 250.

If that is the grate temp then patience grasshopper. It will be done when it is done. :)
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,351
    BamaEGG,

Go to 250* for sure. Once it breaks the plateau you can go higher.

Steve

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    bump the temp up to 250 that is what i did yesterday

and everything turned out ok ;)

DSC_0014.jpg

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • SGT BBQSGT BBQ Posts: 190
    My last couple also took a long time. The good thing is that it will be worth the wait.
    ·
  • pearlbeerpearlbeer Posts: 4
    Wait. I like to leave mine on for 20+ hours as low as possible. The temp plateau for butt is seriously long. You'll go up to 150-160 faster than you think, and then stick there for 6+ hours before you start creeping up again. Lots of collegen to break down.
    ·