Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

ribeye roast, how long to cook?

Options
glousteau
glousteau Posts: 124
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I've got a ribeye roast that I'm egging tonight for some friends. I cooked one at Easter time Mad Max style and it came out great, only problem is it came off the egg about 2 hours late :unsure:

This one is 5 pounds boneless. My plan is to have the eggg up around 600, put the roast on (indirect), let it roar at 600 for 10 minutes or so, then close the vents all the way till it drops to 350, then stabilize there and cook at 350 till it reaches 135 (foil for a bit, then carve.

Any guestimates as to how long this will take? I can be off by 1/2 hr or so, but don't want to be off by 2 hrs this time B)

thanks

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Here is one that is EGGable. I pull mine around 125F as I like more rare and it usually creeps up 5 degrees of so.

Beef, Prime Rib, Roast W/Thyme Au Jus

INGREDIENTS:
    1 6-7 Lbs bone-in prime rib
    8 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
    Salt and coarsely ground black pepper
    2 cups red wine
    4 cups beef stock
    1 Tbs chopped fresh thyme leaves

Preparation:
    1 Thirty minutes before roasting the prime rib, remove from the refrigerator and let come to room temperature.
    2 Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
    3 Make small slits all over the prime rib and fill each slit with a slice of the garlic. Season liberally with the salt and coarse pepper, place on a rack set inside a roasting pan and roast for about 2 hours until medium-rare, or until a thermometer inserted into the center of the meat registers 135 degrees F. Remove the meat to a platter, and tent with foil to keep warm.
    Au Jus:
    1 Place the roasting pan on top of the stove over 2 burners set on high heat. Add the wine to the pan drippings in the pan and cook over high heat until reduced, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon. Add the stock and cook until reduced by half. Whisk in the thyme and season with salt and pepper, to taste.
    2 Slice meat as desired and serve with thyme au jus.

Recipe Type
    Beef, Main Dish

Recipe Source
    Author: Bobby Flay

Source: Food Network, Bobby Flay, 2006/01/01

Episode#: GL0504

Copyright © 2006 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved