Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

10lb butt=20hr cook...two 5lb butts=10hrcook??????

Options
florida Nick
florida Nick Posts: 101
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Hi guys and girls,
My general question is this: if I take a 10lb butt and cut it in half to make two 5lb butts do I effectively cut my cooking time in half? Assuming there is enough air space between the butts and using the conservative 2 hour per pound estimate (knowing that it might take less or more time depending on the fat content of the butt). Can I turn roughly a 20 hour cook into roughly a 10 hour cook??
I am planning a pork butt cook for memorial day weekend. I have limited cook time and cant do an over night. I want to cook 20lbs and was thinking I could do four 5lb butts giving myself anywhere from 10 to 15 hours to cook them. I will be serving it pulled the next day and will also be looking for suggestions for the best method for pulling the day before serving. But thats another topic ;)
Thanks in advance for the help
This forum ROCKS!
Nick

Comments

• Celtic Wolf
    Celtic Wolf Posts: 9,773
    Options
    You can, but I like to live by the adage "If you don't have time to cook it right, cook something else"

Plus you might find one you open the package that the ten pound butt you think you have is already 2 5pound butts.
  • florida Nick
    Options
    So does a 10lb butt taste that much better than a 5lb butt? I have so far only cooked 5lb butts and thought they were awesome, do they get better :woohoo:
  • Hoss
    Hoss Posts: 14,600
    Options
    IMHO BIGGER=BETTER!!! Especially when it comes to BUTTS!!! :evil:
  • EggFreedom
    EggFreedom Posts: 14
    Options
    "I like BIG butts and I can not lie" :woohoo: ......Sorry I digress.
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    A non-rushed cook is better than a rushed cook.
  • civil eggineer
    civil eggineer Posts: 1,547
    Options
    I find the 2 hr/lb does not hold true on smaller butts. All butts hit a plateau that can take 4+ hours to get through regardless of their size. I don't think I have ever had a butt finish under 14 hours, at 250 dome temp, but have had many that I thought were going to until they hit one or two plateaus.
  • crghc98
    crghc98 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    "you other brothers can't deny...."
  • Doug in Eggmonton
    Options
    You know you've landed in a diffent place when a 10 to 15 hour cook is called "rushed" B)

Doug
    T-8 days to Large
  • Celtic Wolf
    Options
    If 5 pounds takes 15 hours to cook you are doing something wrong. 7 - 8 hours is more likely.

My point still stands.. If you don't have the time to cook something as is then cook something you do have time to cook. Even with a cook like this you'll end up rushing other things just to get it done in the time you have..

Pork Loins take much less time and if prepare right can be just as impressive as pulled pork. Little Chef has a recipe for Pork Roulade
  • Bordello
    Bordello Posts: 5,926
    Options
    I'm not saying a word, Old Bordello knows when to keep quiet. (ya, right) :woohoo:

Good one.

Cheer & Big Butts to ya,
    Bordello
  • florida Nick
    Options
    Celtic Wolf,
    Thanks for the advice. I dont think I will going against your principle of not cooking something unless you can cook it as is. Most of the butts that I find are between 3 and 8lbs, occasionally I come accross a 10 or 12lb. I was planning on getting four 5lb butts and cooking them as is. I just wanted to make sure that if I was cooking 20lbs total (4 seperate pre-cut 5lb butts) that my cooking time wouldn't be like I was cooking one 20lb butt, that's why I originally phrased the question the way I did.
    If as you say, a 5lb butt should take around 7-8 hours then I should be more than fine and won't be rushing the cook. I was giving myself 10 to 15 hours just to be prepared for a worst case scenario. Thanks for the link to the pork loin recipe as well.

And thanks to everyone else who offered advice as well...and thanks for the Sir Mixalot quotes :laugh:
    Nick