Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

whole smoked turkey would be a good challenge.

Options
smokeypete
smokeypete Posts: 63
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
any suggestions? to brine or not to brine? inject? rub? have never done one before so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• JSlot
    JSlot Posts: 1,218
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]I'm doing an unbrined one tomorrow afternoon. I brine my Thanksgiving birds. Both are excellent, so try one each way at different times and see what you like best. BTW, when you say smoke, do you mean cooking low and slow for a long time to slow-smoke your turkey? I haven't done any like that yet. I do mine at 350° indirect with no smoke wood. Basically roasting it in the Egg. It still picks up plenty of smoke flavoring for my taste. 12-14 pounder usually takes 2½-3 hours.[p]Jim
  • smokeypete
    Options
    JSlot, i was thinking low and slow... about 250, 30 min per pound.. hickory for smoke.
  • Ryan
    Ryan Posts: 243
    Options
    smokeypete,[p]Will it dry out if you do a low and slow? I'd love to try it, but I thought poultry was best cooked at 300 plus?[p]Let us know how it comes out. I have a 10 lb turkey in the freezer waiting to be egged...[p]Ryan
  • Marvin
    Marvin Posts: 515
    Options
    smokeypete,
    IMHO, I would not recommend lo-n-slo. Turkey doesn't have enough fat on it to maintain moisture for the time that it will take to get to a done temp. We smoke ours at 350 by putting the bird on (indirect)at the time the fire is started. At the same time wood chips are thrown on all the starting points (we use MAPP gas to start three points). The temp is then brought up to 350 over about 45-60 minutes. That provides plenty of smoked flavor. Then continue cooking at 350 until breast is 160 and/or thigh is 180. Please let us know what you did and how it turned out. We all learn that way. Enjoy. BTW, if you want to do a lo-n-slo bird, do a duck at 225 for 4-5 hours; poke a lot of holes in the skin first.

• LasVegasMac
    LasVegasMac Posts: 183
    Options
    smokeypete, I have not tried the brine thing yet, so I can't speak to that. I have done about 6 birds so far, all have been for holidays and all have gotten rave reviews from the participants.[p]I do nothing fancy, rub outside with olive oil and stuff the inside with hunks of apple, orange and onion. I keep the temp around 325 and cook until the temp probe says it's done.[p]I've done sizes from 12 - 22 lbs. Most yummy, but I do want to try the brine.[p]Happy Egg'n,[p]LVM

• Chef Wil
    Chef Wil Posts: 702
    Options
    smokeypete,
    I will be attempting a spatchcock turkey
    my plans are to brine for 24 hours
    and cook it indirect with a drip pan with applejuice in it,I plan on cooking about 215-225 and using my temp probe until done, using pecan and hickory blend, and maybe a handful of coffee beans, I'll let you guys know how it comes out and good luck with yours.

• Shelby
    Shelby Posts: 803
    Options
    smokeypete,
    You'll get a lot of people saying to brine. I've never done it and don't feel the need to with the egg since it retains so much moisture. I do however inject, let it sit overnight and rub the outside.
    It's a good thing!

• Unknown
    Options
    Shelby,[p]One advantage in using a brine is that it can be used to thaw a frozen turkey. Putting a frozen turkey in a cooler covered with brine overnight will give you a cold, thawed turkey in the morning. This is a big help if you don't have the refrigerator space to let the turkey thaw for four days in the fridge.
  • smokeypete
    Options
    Marvin,the information i have gleaned suggests wrapping the bird in cheesecloth, dampened with broth, for the first four hours of the cook, breast side down, then the bird is turned and the cheesecloth removed for the finish. in theory i understand, we'll see how it works in practice.

• smokeypete
    Options
    paulH, now this idea i like...

• smokeypete
    Options
    Chef Wil, wow.. you really deserve the title of chef!

• TRex
    TRex Posts: 2,714
    Options
    paulH,[p]Great point.