Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roof ??

Options
Marty
Marty Posts: 16
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Has anyone put a roof over their table? I would like a permenant roof that would tolerate Ohio weather!
Thanks,
Marty

Comments

• Seth
    Seth Posts: 79
    Options
    Marty,
    I live in OHIO, no roof needed, my egg has been outside for 4 1/2 years, and there is a brand new small sitting next to it and they pretty much look the same. Never been covered either. Just my 2 cents.
    Seth

• Spring Chicken
    Spring Chicken Posts: 10,255
    Options
    Marty,
    I've also been thinking about a roof of some kind over my setup. I did some research through some of the patio and porch design books as well as visiting some of the upscale homes that are now building outdoor kitchen/BBQ Centers. The secret appears to be to build a well ventilated porch with a high ceiling and place the cooking area near the outside area where ventilation is best. Ceiling fans and good lighting would be highly recommended. If you do end up building something you should post a photo on this Forum. I suspect a lot of others would like a protected cooking area.[p]My neighbor just purchased a high-dollar stainless cooker that he planned to place up against his brick house. It turns out that the thing vents to the back and would create a real mess, not to mention the possible cracking of his brick from the heat. The manufacturer recommended not putting it up against a house, but preferrably some distance from the house. He is not happy because he now has to wire an electrical outlet to operate his rotisserie and light. Just more stuff to keep in mind when designing your cooking center.[p]Spring Chicken
    Spring Texas USA

• KennyG
    KennyG Posts: 949
    Options
    Marty,[p]What part of Ohio? Just the Greater Cleveland contingent chiming in here.[p]K~G

• Grumpa
    Grumpa Posts: 861
    Options
    Marty,[p]Shoot me an email and I'll send you some pictures of the one I built over eggs a few years ago.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Hello fellow Clevelanders!
    I just wanted to say hey ,but I bought my BGE on fathers day this year and already are making plans to build a nice deck keeping my Egg in mind. I going to leave part of it uncovered but where the egg goes will have a tall peaked roof and open sides!!
    I can't wait!
    Carrera85[p]

• Gfw
    Gfw Posts: 1,598
    Options
    MyBge_small.jpg
    <p />Marty, I have a large roof over my BGE - no problem doing a little BBQ in the rain, snow, etc.[p]Good luck [p]Life is GOOD ~:}[p]
  • Steve-O
    Steve-O Posts: 302
    Options
    Marty,
    I keep all three of my eggs on a patio with a high roof over it. All three are up close to the house and I have had no problems with them being in that location. This keeps them out of the weather very well and so I have have an excuse for not egging - not that I am ever looking for one. Get yourself a chimea to go along with your egg and not even the coldest days can keep you inside.

• Marty
    Marty Posts: 16
    Options
    Thanks all for the reply's. I was hoping for pic's to get the mind started! The lid froze shut a few times this winter plus I like to BBQ when I want, rain or shine! Millersburg, Ohio

• Unknown
    Options
    I guess I need a different handle than "marty" as there is more than one here.

• maddaug
    maddaug Posts: 56
    Options
    Marty,
    We live in Ill. and are building a shelter not only for shade but for our egg. I will post pic when done.

• Grillhauberichtlinien
    Options
    Marty,
    I just got the last quote today from a contractor to build a 14 x 16 garden room with a 12 x 15 covered porch for the grill. They won't be able to start until September. No more grilling in the rain or snow in northeast Indiana for me very soon.[p]I wanted to have the grill in the room, but after a lot of checking it would have cost more for the "code" ventilation and fire suppression systems than I spent for all of my grill gear. No one had too much of a problem until I told them that the grill was charcoal. Apparently charcoal burns the oxygen out of an area much faster than gas. I decided that it was just too much cost for an indoor grill. I plan on putting screens in the 12x15 porch to keep the bugs away.

• germanshorthair
    Options
    Bob,[p]Would you email some of your egg roof photos to me also?[p]Thanks,
    Mark