Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Leaky draft door

Options
SmokeOrFire
SmokeOrFire Posts: 49
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just used my new egg for the first time yesterday. Knowing that I should be able to close it up and reuse the charcoal, I filled the firebox to the top. However, I lost most of the load trying to get it to go out. It held a perfect 200 degrees for several hours, when I didn't want it to. I got the halves to pass the dollar bill test, but it still wouldn't shut down. Then I found a post here that suggested putting the gasket material on the inside of the ceramic stopper. Since I didn't have gasket material, I used damp newspaper to improvise. This caused the temp to go down a bit. I was only able to get it to go out after stuffing damp newspaper in the gap on the right side of the draft door (when it is closed, all the way to the left). There is about an eighth inch gap on this side of the door, which seems to allow enough air to keep it going at 200. Has anyone had a gap here, and figured out how to plug it permanently? I searched the forum to no avail.

Comments

• Semolina Pilchard
    Options
    SmokeOrFire, you have email.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    Something to consider when shutting the egg down.

The ceramics takes time to cool off. The lump might be out but the ceramics will hold the heat for a long time.

Here is what I have done to all my ceramic caps.

gasket4.jpg

Talk with your dealer and ask them if they have some extra gasket material or you can also call BGE and request there.

Some folks have put the gasket material on the dome itself which should tighten up both the ceramic cap and DFMT (daisy wheel).

In the mean time use some HD aluminum foil.

GG
  • SmokeOrFire
    SmokeOrFire Posts: 49
    Options
    I looked at the eggs at the dealer, and they all have this gap on the right side of the closed door (when it is pushed all the way left to seal up).

Older eggs seem to have more metal for the screen which might give a tighter seal.

It looks like I should do something similar to Grandpas Grub suggestion -> seal up the top with gasket material.