Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

HELP

newbie Posts: 13
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We just picked up our BGE last night and wanted to have fillets for Mothers Day. My welling meaning husband couldn't get his propane torch to work right so he grabbed ---ou guessed it---lighter fluid!!! Please tell me we did not ruin our BGE. Is there anything we should to it at this point. Also our BGE came in its box WITHOUT a temp gauge so we are having to wing it until we get one. Things aren't going real well so far.

Comments

• Car Wash Mike
    Car Wash Mike Posts: 11,244
    In the future, EVOO on a napkin will light your lump. Don't know about the lighter fluid. You should have 3-4 cooks around 400 before searing a steak at a high temp. You might lose a gasket. Sorry for the news.

Mike
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Give your husband a big kiss and tell him not to do it again.

Let us know what you want to cook and we can possibly help out.

You can pull this off so let us know what you are cooking. If you have a stem thermometer that will read 500° or below use that and just set it isside the hole. You can pick one up at Lowes, Walmart, Home Depot. Don't force it into the egg if it is too tight. Or, pick up a flat disc thermometer that can sit on your cooking grid.

Here is a pictorial of how to light the egg with Oil and Paper Towel

Here are some guide lines for "Guessing" heat - this should be done at the cooking grid level.

Amount of time one can hold hand at cooking level before having to pull your hand away.

High Heat = 2 seconds about 450° - 550°
    Medium High Heat = 3 seconds
    Medium Heat = 4 seconds about 350° - 450°
    Low Heat = 6 to 8 seconds, about 250° (8 sec) - 350° (6 sec).

Some other quick guidelines for settings on my large - screen fully closed.

Temp - Bottom Vent DFMT-Slider DFMT-Petals
    250° 1/8" open shut 1/4 open
    350° 1/8" - 1/4" open shut 1/3 - 1/2 open
    450° 1/4" open shut full open

I wouldn't go any higher than this for a few cooks and until you get your dome thermometer.

GG
  • Wilby
    Wilby Posts: 155
    Hang in there. Things will get better.