Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Pork Shoulders Direct

IdahoeggerIdahoegger Posts: 17
edited 7:17AM in EggHead Forum
Have been considering trying whole pork shoulders on the Green Egg Anyone had success doing this. Being from North Carolina we always cook them direct over hot coals but in a large cooker or pit. Seems like the results are superior over indirect.

Comments

• Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I always use a drip pan, which makes the cook indirect.

I have wondered if the drippings would be enough to cause problems with the fire.

Another thought, if the drippings don't burn up that could make the fire box a real mess.

GG
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    I've done butts direct. It works.

I get better results cooking them indirect.

DirectButt1.jpg
    Rod,

How is the grease in the fire box or does it burn off?

Kent
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,172
    Honestly Kent - it's been so long since I did one direct I really don't remember.

I used to need to do regular cleaning burns after long direct cooks, but that's about all I recall.
    I am going to start 2 butts tonight but with the lower grid temperature I sure don't want to put out a fire...

Kent
  • HossHoss Posts: 14,600
    :unsure: :ermm: :huh: