Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

NOMEX GASKETS FOR MEDIUM AND SMALL

Options
SmokinGuitarPlayer
SmokinGuitarPlayer Posts: 698
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
A lot of people have been calling and emailing asking about "when" for Nomex kits for Med and Small BGE. They are now available.

* So far ...the nomex seems to be a very good solution to the problem of the toasted gasket!

Remember put the 3M Spray 77 on both surfaces (ceramic and nomex), let it dry then carefully attach the gasket while NOT stretching it and be sure to place it correctly because you do not get a second chance.

Also, consider preshrinking your nomex gasket by putting it in the clothes dryer for 15 min or more.

Hope this helps everybody have some very Happy Eggin!

FB/SBP
Fred A. Bernardo , owner of Tasty Licks BBQ Supply in Shillington, Pa. 

Comments

• Grand Oeuf Vert
    Grand Oeuf Vert Posts: 1,631
    Options
    Good Advice.
    Any chance you'll have a Large in stock for next weekend?
    I wouldn't mind picking one up. (Just in case)
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    We have a large supply in stock for any size ceramic cooker.

FB/SGP
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Panhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    Options
    Fred, I don't know if you saw my reply the other day but this looks like a good place to say it again. I just replaced the gasket on my XL and did the drier trick. My new Nomex gasket shrank over 1 1/2 inches. I did leave about 1/4 inch overlap on the gasket after it was insatlled to allow for any further shrinkage. I should know after the first few cooks. Thanks for the tip.
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    VERY interesting ...1.5" shrinkage ! ...much more than I got on my test. Was the gasket one from us? I would really like to know.

Also, how long did you leave it in there? (the clothes dryer)

and please keep me posted on the "overlap" trick... my large now has 1/2" gap on the gasket ends but it still holds temp very good ..better than ever actually .. and I use that gap to run my "wires" (guru sometimes and maverick probes etc. ) .
    FB/SGP
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    It is a BGE Nomex gasket. I let it run in the dryer for a good 20-30 minutes on high heat. Good idea for a good use of the small gap. One day I will have some wires to do that with. :laugh:
  • johann
    johann Posts: 111
    Options
    Great tip on the clothes drier, I have 2 large nomex gaskets ready to go on my l and s. I just haven't found the time when I'm not cooking to do it!

Whats this tip about spraying the 77 on the gasket too? You just spray it down and then tack it on?
  • Panhandle Smoker
    Options
    I did it on the bottom of the Lg but not on the top I found it very messy. I just sprayed it down good on the Egg, let it tack up for about 5-10 minutes and put it on. It has been on for a few months now with no problems. I checked it and it is on there good.
  • Grandpas Grub
    Grandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    Options
    If overspray is a concern and you don't want to mask the egg, spray the adhesive in a cup and brush the adhesive on the egg.

GG
  • SmokinGuitarPlayer
    Options
    OK...after reading all the posts...

The first time we installed a nomex gasket (on the video) we only put the glue on the edge of the Egg ..then attached the gasket... shortly aftrer that, we had freezing rain , the nomex absorbed water, then froze the egg shut and when , after heating, I opened the egg...the gaskets (both dome and base) simply peeled off.

I got reports of similar failures also so now we always put it on both surfaces as recommended on the can of adhesive.

Also, we cut out a cardboard disk and hold it inside the egg when spraying the glue so none is sprayed inside the egg ... I always aim from the inside out so no spray on outside of the egg...I think I did this in the video ..can't remember.

Hope this helps.
  • NoVA Bill
    NoVA Bill Posts: 3,005
    Options
    FYI - I installed a BGE Nomex replacement gasket on my medium a while ago. Painted the 3M glue on the egg only and left some overlap. Haven't had any temps over 550 degrees (not sustained). Haven't noticed any gasket shrinkage. The egg seems to be holding heat well. So far so good (knock on wood).