Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

On wood chips and chunks... and?

OttawaEgg
OttawaEgg Posts: 283
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Noticed that my local dealer (I call it BBQ heaven), has these "wine barrel" pieces (staves?). I guess they're oak, and cut into about 6" pieces.

Has anyone tried these? What meats would they go with?

(still working on my prime rib technique for mummzees day)

Comments

• Big'un
    Big'un Posts: 5,909
    They are good. I've used them on appetizers and the flavor isn't very pronounced. I didn't put in the whole bag though. :laugh: I would add some for next prime rib I cook, but I would also have some cherry or plum wood too. HTH.
  • Gator Bait
    Gator Bait Posts: 5,244
    I have bought them and whiskey barrels as chips and like them very much. Oak is a very nice smoke wood to begin with and I do not know if storing liquor or wine in it imparts much flavor. I doubt that you would be disappointed with them. I would cut them down to correspond to the length of cook I am doing. Chips for a quick steak, chunks for something slower.

Gator
  • OttawaEgg
    OttawaEgg Posts: 283
    Thanks, I'm thinking of putting a couple on for my prime rib tomorrow.

Proabably a 4-5 hour cook.
  • Rolling Egg
    Rolling Egg Posts: 1,995
    Ive been throwing handfulls of oak Jack Daniel barrell chips in with my hickory for my long cooks. I talked to a guy in KC last week that said he uses exclusively oak. Im ok with it but not completely away from hickory. Probably wont ever get away from hickory. Happy Egging!