Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost Halloween and if you’re cooking on your EGG, you may end up with more people knocking on your door asking for pork chops than candy! In case you’re willing to share and want to please a crowd, we recommend warm Margherita Pizza, FGL’s Lemon Pepper Wings or our favorite, S’mores in a Cone!

If you missed the 17th Annual EGGtoberfest here are the highlights Click Here Fall is upon us, and it's a great time for getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Any Hope for My Butts

Smokin' JacketSmokin' Jacket Posts: 62
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put two butts on the egg at about 8:30 tonight...I am suppose to leave to go out of town with the butts about 8:30 in the morning. I have bumped the temp to just under 300...will they be ready to travel for a early Mother's Day dinner on Saturday afternoon?

Comments

• Panhandle SmokerPanhandle Smoker Posts: 3,018
    How far of a drive? You could wrap in foil insulate with news paper or towels put in a cooler and finish in the oven when you get there. You cut that timing all the way to the bone. :ohmy:
  • How big are they? I would say that if you don't have any problems with your fire tonight, you should be just fine. I think Panhandle makes a good point, that is certainly an option. Figure an 1 to 1.5 hours per pound.

Good luck.
  • I have about a two and a half hour drive...my plan was to foil the butts and wrap them up in a cooler and pull when I get to South Carolina. I am guessing that the butts are 7-8 lbs each...my wife unwrapped the butts and had them rubbed when I got home from work.

I have never cooked a butt at 300...am I risking my fire burning out too quick at that temp?
  • FidelFidel Posts: 10,168
    You'll be fine on lump. You could always drop it down to 275 if you're concerned.

Worst case they won't be done yet. Check them early in the morning and if they aren't getting close you can wrap them in foil then put them back on and the temps will jump quickly.

They should hold in the cooler fine for 3-4 hours. I've held them much longer. Two butts means increased thermal mass, which means they will hold heat longer.

I've held two butts and a brisket in a cooler and after 6 hours they were still steaming hot ... too hot to pull.
  • Grandpas GrubGrandpas Grub Posts: 14,226
    I have cooked a butt an 8# butt at 400° - 425° dome (375° grid) in 6.5 hours. Most folks would be hard pressed to tell the difference.

300° dome, I am not sure about your timing...

If you find your bark is developing too much/quick foil tent the butt.

When you pull to rest. Wrap in HD aluminum foil keeping the seam to the top. Get a heavy blanket and securely wrap the butt in the blanket, keeping the foil seam to the top - so juices don't run out.

I have kept butts hot for up to 6 hours (no cooler used). A cooler would be convenient for carrying - I just put it on the floor behind me.

I went to walmart and picked up 2 yards (50" wide) of fleece (stadium blanket material) and I keep that for my egged stuff. Works great and the fleece keeps the meat hot for extremely long times.

Have a safe trip and good eats.

GG